MIDDLEBURY, Vt. -- Missing two-time All-American Rob Crampton for the second straight match, the No. 12 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team fell 7-2 at No. 14 Middlebury on Sunday, in the Bobcats' NESCAC opener.
Sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) continued his impressive early spring season by going 2-0 on the day. Planche and junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) teamed up for an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles over Alex Johnston and Spencer Lunghino, and Planche followed that with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Palmer Campbell at No. 3 singles. Although Crampton's absence pushed Bates' entire lineup up one position from the norm, Bates played competitively at No. 1 singles (senior Matt Bettles) and No. 2 singles (Berg). Bettles and sophomore Henry Lee (Sag Harbor, N.Y.) fell 8-5 at second doubles.
Bates (2-4) plays at Brandeis on Friday at 3pm.
Middlebury 7, Bates 2
March 10, 2013 at Middlebury
1. Alex Johnston (Midd) def. Matt Bettles (Bates) 6-2, 7-6
2. Brantner Jones (Midd) def. Timmy Berg (Bates) 7-5, 6-2
3. Pierre Planche (Bates) def. Palmer Campbell (Midd) 6-4, 6-4
4. Spencer Lunghino (Midd) def. Henry Lee (Bates) 6-1, 6-4
5. Teddy Fitzgibbons (Midd) def. Ben Bogard (Bates) 6-0, 6-3
6. Zach Bruchmiller (Midd) def. Eric Ruta (Bates) 6-1, 6-1
1. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (Bates) def. Alex Johnston/Spencer Lunghino (Midd) 8-6
2. Teddy Fitzgibbons/Andrew Lebovitz (Midd) def. Henry Lee/Matt Bettles (Bates) 8-5
3. Brantner Jones/Palmer Campbell (Midd) def. Ben Bogard/Dylan Reffe (Bates) 8-1