LEWISTON, Maine -- No. 6 nationally ranked Bowdoin prevailed in three sets in the final two singles matches to defeat the No. 21 Bates men's tennis team 6-3 in a NESCAC match on Wednesday night at Wallach Tennis Center.
Bates senior Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) edged Bowdoin sophomore Noah Bragg in the second set of their No. 1 singles match to force a third set, where Bragg prevailed 6-3. Meanwhile Bowdoin junior Chris Lord pulled off a 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 win over Bates sophomore Pierre Planche at No. 4 singles.
Crampton teamed up with fellow Bates senior Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) to win in a pro-set tiebreaker over Doug Caplan and Kyle Wolstencroft at No. 1 doubles, but the Polar Bears prevailed at second and third doubles for a 2-1 lead.
Bates got its other two points from Bettles at No. 2 singles, in a 6-3, 6-4 win over Bowdoin senior Casey Grindon, and at No. 3 singles, where junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) defeated Bowdoin junior Samuel King 6-3, 6-4.
Bates (7-8, 4-4 NESCAC) wraps up the regular season this weekend with home matches against Trinity (Saturday 1pm) and Wesleyan (Sunday 10am).
Bowdoin (11-3, 3-1 NESCAC) will finish up with a home match against Tufts on Friday at 3pm.
Bowdoin 6, Bates 3
April 24, 2013 at Wallach Tennis Center
1. Rob Crampton/Matt Bettles (Bates) def. Doug Caplan/Kyle Wolstencroft (Bowdoin) 9-8 (10)
2. Samuel King/Noah Bragg (Bowdoin) def. Pierre Planche/Timmy Berg (Bates) 8-6
3. Chase Savage/Luke Trinka (Bowdoin) def. Henry Lee/Ben Bogard (Bates) 8-5
1. Bragg (Bowdoin) def. Crampton (Bates) 7-6, 6-7, 6-3
2. Bettles (Bates) def. Casey Grindon (Bowdoin) 6-3, 6-4
3. Berg (Bates) def. King (Bowdoin) 6-3, 6-4
4. Chris Lord (Bowdoin) def. Planche (Bates) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
5. Wolstencroft (Bowdoin) def. Eric Ruta (Bates) 6-0, 6-1
6. Savage (Bowdoin) def. Dylan Reffe (Bates) 6-3, 6-3