BALTIMORE, Md. -- The No. 21 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team made an impressive showing on Saturday at eighth-ranked Johns Hopkins University, winning one out of three doubles matches and splitting the six singles matches in a 5-4 loss to the Blue Jays.
All three doubles matches were closely contested, with Bates seniors and two-time All-Americans Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) winning Bates' point at No. 1, where they defeated Nicholas Garcia and Noah Joachim 8-6. Junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) accepted an 8-6 loss to Tanner Brown and Erik Lim, currently ranked fourth in the country, at No. 2 doubles, and junior Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) and sophomore Henry Lee (Sag Harbor, N.Y.) fell 8-5 at third doubles to Andy Hersh and Jeff Kamei.
Planche defeated Lim decisively at No. 4 singles, 6-1, 6-2, while Bettles posted an impressive 6-4, 6-4 victory over Hersh, ranked fifth in Division III, at second singles. Berg won Bates' third singles point in three sets, including a tiebreaker in the second set, over Ben Hwang at third singles. For Johns Hopkins, Brown, Sam Weissler and Jensen Reiter won convincingly at Nos. 1, 5 and 6, respectively.
Bates (4-5, 1-1 NESCAC) returns to NESCAC play next Saturday, March 30 at Tufts (11am).
#8 Johns Hopkins 5, #21 Bates 4
March 23, 2013 at Baltimore, Md.
1. #10 Rob Crampton/Matt Bettles (BATM) def. Nicholas Garcia/Noah Joachim (JHUM) 8-6
2. #4 Tanner Brown/Erik Lim (JHUM) def. Pierre Planche/Timmy Berg (BATM) 8-6
3. Andy Hersh/Jeff Kamei (JHUM) def. Ben Bogard/Henry Lee (BATM) 8-5
1. #21 Tanner Brown (JHUM) def. Rob Crampton (BATM) 6-2, 6-3
2. Matt Bettles (BATM) def. #5 Andy Hersh (JHUM) 6-4, 6-4
3. Timmy Berg (BATM) def. Ben Hwang (JHUM) 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
4. Pierre Planche (BATM) def. Erik Lim (JHUM) 6-1, 6-2
5. Sam Weissler (JHUM) def. Henry Lee (BATM) 6-0, 6-2
6. Jensen Reiter (JHUM) def. Eric Ruta (BATM) 6-3, 6-1