FREDERICKSBURG, Va. -- The No. 25 Bates men's tennis team's three-day, three-match trip to Virginia began Friday with an 8-1 loss against No. 5 Johns Hopkins Friday at the University of Mary Washington.
Bates' No. 1 doubles team, senior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and junior Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.), defeated the Blue Jays' top pair, Emerson Walsh and Michael Buxbaum, by an 8-6 score to score Bates' lone point in doubles, with the Blue Jays winning at 2 and 3 with relative ease.
Planche took Ben Hwang to a third set in the most competitive singles match of the day, at No. 2. Though they couldn't win any points in singles play, Bates' singles players won at last three games in each individual singles set but one.
Mary Washington, ranked 17th in Division III, will play host to the Bobcats on Saturday at noon. Bates and N.C. Wesleyan square off Sunday at 10am, also at Mary Washington.
Johns Hopkins 8, Bates 1
March 21, 2014 at Fredericksburg, Va.
1. Pierre Planche/Timmy Berg (Bates) def. Emerson Walsh/Michael Buxbaum (JHU) 8-6
2. Tanner Brown/Erik Lim (JHU) def. Ben Bogard/Patrick Ordway (Bates) 8-2
3. Nicholas Garcia/Noah Joachim (JHU) def. Eric Ruta/Chris Ellis (Bates) 8-3
1. Michael Buxbaum (JHU) def. Berg (Bates) 6-3, 6-1
2. Ben Hwang (JHU) def. Planche (Bates) 4-6, 6-4 (10-6)
3. Tanner Brown (JHU) def. Ellis (Bates) 6-4, 6-3
4. Jeremy Dubin (JHU) def. Brent Feldman (Bates) 6-4, 6-4
5. Nicholas Garcia (JHU) def. Henry Lee (Bates) 6-3, 6-4
6. Erik Lim (JHU) def. Ordway (Bates) 6-3, 6-4