Cardinals tip men's tennis in season finale, 6-3
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. -- The Bates men's tennis team finished regular-season play on Sunday, suffering a 6-3 setback at Wesleyan University in a NESCAC match despite winning two out of three doubles points.
The Bobcats finish the season with a 7-10 overall record, and with a 3-5 mark against NESCAC opponents, they are unlikely to be selected in the six-team field of the NESCAC Men's Tennis Championship.
Bates hopes to participate in the singles and/or doubles portion of the NCAA Division III Championships, if senior standout Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) is selected as a singles player or as a doubles team with junior partner Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.).
Berg and Planche defeated their Wesleyan counterparts at No. 1 doubles, Jake Roberts and Sam Rudovsky, 8-3, and Bates carried a 2-1 lead into singles play with the benefit of a 9-7 win at second doubles, pulled off by senior tandem Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) and Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.).
The host Cardinals (9-6, 4-5 NESCAC), however, won five out of six singles matches to clinch their fourth NESCAC win of the season. Bates first-year Patrick Ordway (Falmouth, Maine) scored Bates' point with a 6-0, 7-5 win at No. 5 over Michael King.
Wesleyan 6, Bates 3
April 27, 2014 at Wesleyan
1. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (B) def. Jake Roberts/Sam Rudovsky (W) 8-3
2. Ben Bogard/Peter Yanofsky (B) def. Charlie Seifer/Zachary Brint (W) 9-7
3. Greg Lyon/Cameron Hicks (W) def. Eric Ruta/Henry Lee (B) 8-4
1. Roberts (W) def. Berg (B) 6-3, 6-4
2. Michael Liu (W) def. Planche (B) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
3. Stephen Monk (W) def. Henry Lee (B) 6-1, 6-0
4. Rudovsky (W) def. Brent Feldman (B) 6-1, 6-2
5. Patrick Ordway (B) def. Michael King (W) 6-0, 7-5
6. Brint (W) def. Bogard (B) 6-2, 7-5