|Rich McNeil '10 won his first New England title on Saturday, two days after being named NESCAC Rookie of the Year. (Joe Gromelski photo)|
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. -- First-year Rich McNeil became Bates' second New England throwing champion in two days as the Bobcats finished in sixth place out of 26 scoring teams Saturday at the New England Division III Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Springfield College.
McNeil (Lawrence, Mass.) won the discus throw with a top throw of 148 feet, 2 inches, beating out John Lewis of Springfield (148-00).
Bates junior Noah Gauthier (Amherst, N.H.) was fourth in the discus at 144-10, giving him three top-four finishes at New Englands. Gauthier was runner-up in the shot put on Saturday at 50-10.25, a day after winning the New England title in the hammer throw. Gauthier scored 23 points for Bates at the meet.
Bates scored 53 points in all; it is the team's ninth consecutive top-six finish at the outdoor New Englands.
Other Bobcats who scored team points with a top-eight finish on Saturday, and thus won All-New England honors, included:
- Senior Matt Capone (Auburn, Maine) in the 100-meter dash, seventh place (11.04 seconds);
- Capone in the 200-meter dash, tied for sixth place (21.8 seconds);
- The 4x400-meter relay team of Capone, senior Sam Murphy (St. Paul, Minn.), first-year Noah Glick (Center Tuftonboro, N.H.) and senior Sam Thomas (Richmond, Va.), fourth place (3:34.42);
- Junior Emmanuel Drabo (Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso) in the triple jump, sixth place (44-09.00);
- Senior Andrew Tibbetts (Dedham, Mass.) in the 400-meter hurdles, tied for eighth place (56.9 seconds);
The day before, Tibbetts finished sixth in the decathlon, scoring 5,683 points to earn All-New England honors and move from sixth to fourth on Bates' all-time performance list.
|Andrew Tibbetts '07 moved from sixth to fourth place on Bates' all-time performance list in the decathlon. (Joe Gromelski photo)|
Also on Friday:
- Gauthier's top hammer throw of 190 feet, 0 inches was 14 1/2 feet beyond runner-up Matt Zagura of Eastern Connecticut State for first place. It was a personal record for Gauthier and it moved him up one spot to fifth on Bates' all-time performance list.
- Bates junior Matt Dunlap (Farmington, Maine) scored another three points for Bates by finishing sixth in the 10,000-meter run in a time of 32:49.87.
- First-year Doug Brecher (Waban, Mass.) was ninth in the event (33:06.35), while junior Andrew Percy (Woodbridge, Conn.) was 15th in 34:39.49.
- Junior Matt Lopez (Lexington, Mass.) was 11th in the hammer throw at 157-03, while Rich McNeil was 13th in 153-06.
Bates competes next weekend at Open New Englands at Dartmouth.