Gauthier, throwers lead Bates men to first at USM Invite
|Noah Gauthier '08 prepares to unleash the 35-pound weight at USM on Saturday. Gauthier won both the weight throw at the shot put at the USM Invitational. (Tom Leonard photo)|
GORHAM, Maine -- Senior Noah Gauthier won both the 35-pound weight throw and the shot put, leading the Bates men's indoor track and field team to first place out of eight teams Saturday at the USM Invitational.
Bates scored 174 points, 63 of them coming in the two throwing events, to edge host Southern Maine for first place by three points.
Gauthier (Amherst, N.H.), a two-time All-America thrower, won the weight throw in 59'08.25", as Bates swept the top six spots in the event, with sophomore Rich McNeil (Lawrence, Mass.), sophomore Mark Liu (Lexington, Mass.), senior Matt Lopez (Lexington, Mass.), first-year Christopher Murtagh (Rowley, Mass.) and first-year Douglas Goulding (Scituate, Mass.), in order. McNeil also was the runner-up in the shot put, at 47'02.25", with Lopez and Liu at fourth and fifth, respectively.
Other highlights for Bates included:
- First-year Kevin McDonald (Stewart Manor, N.Y.) finished second in the 800-meter run, in a time of 2:04.50.
- Senior Emmanuel Drabo (Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso) placed second in the long jump at 20'11.00", but fouled out of his top event the triple jump.
- Senior John Miley (Hanson, Mass.) was third in the 600-meter run in 1:27.03 and fourth in the 55 hurdles in 8.40 seconds.
- First-year Ryan Quinn (Watertown, Mass.) and sophomore Carlos Castro (Mexico City) were third and fourth in the 400 at 52.68 and 53.10 seconds, respectively.
- Sophomore Doug Brecher (Waban, Mass.) finished third in the 3,000 at 9:10.85.
- The 4x400 relay team of Castro, Miley, Brett Epler (Wellesley, Mass.) and Quinn was nipped at the finish line by Southern Maine, 3:30.71 to 3:30.76.