Men's track and field places seventh at New Englands
NEW LONDON, Conn. -- Throwers Noah Gauthier and Rich McNeil continued to pile on the points in leading the Bates men's track and field team to seventh place at the New England Division III Outdoor Championships on Saturday at Coast Guard.
McNeil (Lawrence, Mass.) took fourth place in the discus throw (141-07) while Gauthier (Amherst, N.H.) was eighth (135-11). Gauthier took fourth in the shot put (48-03.25) and McNeil was fifth (46-09.50), combining for nine more points for the Bobcats.
Also scoring points for Bates on Saturday was first-year Christopher Murtagh (Rowley, Mass.) who was fifth in the javelin throw (184-06). Murtagh was also 13th in the discus throw, while sophomore Mark Liu (Lexington, Mass.) finished 14th.
Other standout performances for the Bobcats included:
- First-year Brett Epler (Wellesley, Mass.) finished 10th in the 400-meter hurdles, with a time of 56.93 secods, and 13th in the 110-meter hurdles, with a time of 16.55;
- Sophomore Conor Welch (Newburyport, Mass.) finished 12th in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, with a time of 9:49.06;
- First-year Ryan Quinn (Watertown, Mass.) finished 13th in the 400, with a time of 51.12;
- Junior Jerome Bennett (Chicago, Ill.) placed 13th in the pole vault (13-03.50), while sophomore Nicolas DeFrancis (Norwich, Vt.) and Peter Garber (Short Hills, N.J.) were 16th and 18th, respectively;
- Senior Emmanuel Drabo (Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso) placed 14th in the triple jump, at 41-03.75.
Gauthier and McNeil placed first and third, respectively, to score 16 points in the hammer throw on Friday. Gauthier won his second straight New England title in the hammer throw with a top throw of 183 feet, 11 inches. McNeil trailed only Gauthier and Coast Guard senior Chris Hunt to place third at 176-09. Murtagh (Rowley, Mass.) placed 12th and senior Matthew Lopez (Lexington, Mass.) was 15th out of 21 competitors.
MEET RESULTS (PDF)