BOSTON and MEDFORD, Mass. -- The Bates men's track and field team chopped exactly three seconds off of the previous school record in the indoor medley relay Saturday at the BU Valentine Invitational, highlighting a very active, two-meet day for the Bobcats, including the Tufts Invitational.
Sophomore Tully Hannan (West Hartford, Conn.) led off the DMR on Boston University's banked track with the 1,200-meter leg, followed by sophomore Ben Levy (Belmont, Mass.) in the 400 meters, junior James LePage (Cumberland, Maine) in the 800 and sophomore Noah Graboys (Glencoe, Ill.) in the anchor 1,600-meter leg, who crossed the finish line in 9:55.10, fourth best in a mixed, all-divisions field of 20 squads.
The former team record time, 9:58.10, was recorded a year ago by Nick Barron '13, Ryan Quinn '11, LePage and Hannan, who ran the 1,600 meters in that version. Bates' time would have ranked first in Division III entering this weekend.
The DMR mark was only the first of two team records broken Saturday by LePage, who also became the team's all-time top performer in the 1,000, leading all Division III runners in 2:27.90. The former record of 2:28.12, by Andrius Staisiunas '05, has stood since 2003.
Other Bates highlights from BU included:
- Junior David Pless (Atlanta, Ga.) finished second, and first among Division III athletes, in the shot put at 55-0.75.
- First-year Isaiah Spofford (Waterville, Maine) was 13th in Division III in the 200 meters, at 22.66 seconds, moving him into the No. 5 spot on Bates' all-time performance list in the event.
- Junior Anthony Haeuser (South Portland, Maine) finished the 60-meter hurdles in 8.69 seconds, fourth-best among Division III athletes.
- Sophomore Mike Martin (Slatersville, R.I.) and junior Nick Barron (Kirkwood, Mo.) were 15th and 16th, respectively, among Division III athletes in the mile, at 4:19.21 and 4:19.23.
A large contingent of Bobcats competed at the Tufts Invitational nearby. Bates' top-three performances at the meet included:
- First-year Sean Enos (Lynnfield, Mass.) won the shot put among 12 competitors with a top mark of 48-10; Enos also took second place in the weight throw (49-5.75).
- Senior Ben Chebot (Newton, Mass.) placed first among 30 runners in the 3,000 meters, with a time of 8:48.92, followed in second place by first-year Christian Sampson (Brookline, Mass.) in 8:51.93.
- Junior Myles Black-Ingersoll (Concord, N.H.) finished second among 11 competitors in the 800 meters, at 2:03.57, followed in third place by first-year Zach Polich (Westborough, Mass.) at 2:04.90.
- First-year John Wisener (Ridgewood, N.J.) took third place in the pole vault (13-5.25).
- First-year Charley Kenyon (East Amherst, N.Y.) was third in the 60 hurdles at 9.12 seconds.
Bates competes Friday, Feb. 17 in the New England Division III Men's Indoor Track & Field Championships at Springfield College.