DURHAM, N.H. -- The Bates men's track and field team competed well against three larger schools Saturday at the UNH Wildcat Invitational against the University of Maine, the University of New Hampshire and Merrimack College, placing third as a team.
The Bobcats also had two senior distance runners compete Friday night in the 5,000-meter run at Connecticut College's Silfen Invitational. Mike Horowicz (Montclair, N.J.) placed third out of a field of 63 runners with a personal-best time of 14:46.56, while Evan Ferguson-Hull (West Hartford, Conn.) took eighth place in 14:59.66. (Silfen Results)
At the Wildcat Invitational, Bates scored 169 team points to finish third at the meet. Maine (196) won by a point over New Hampshire (195), followed by the Bobcats (169) and Merrimack (65).
Top-five event performances by the Bobcats included:
- Senior Patrick Griffin (Harvard, Mass.) won the 800-meter run in a time of 1:54.13.
- Junior Adedire Fakorede (Newark, N.J.) placed second in the discus throw (151-6), fourth in the shot put (49-1) and fourth in the hammer throw (165-5).
- Sophomore Isaiah Seetram (Ajax, Ontario) placed second in the triple jump (41-7) and fourth in the long jump, with a personal outdoor best mark of 21-6.75, which puts him in seventh place on Bates' all-time performance list in the event.
- First-year Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) took second place in the high jump (6-4.75) and fifth in the long jump (21-1.5).
- Senior Colin Kraft (Northborough, Mass.) placed second in the 200-meter dash (22.95) and fifth in the 100-meter dash (11.68).
- Junior Rob Flynn (Bedford, N.H.) took second place in the 800-meter run (1:55.01).
- Junior Jack Kiely (Severna Park, Md.) took second place out of 25 men in the 1,500 meters (3:58.32).
- Sophomore Tyler Harrington (Haverhill, Mass.) placed second in the javelin throw (176-5).
- Senior Blake Downey (Eliot, Maine) placed third in the pole vault (13-5.25) and fifth in the 400-meter hurdles (59.49).
- Junior Ben Tonelli (Seattle, Wash.) placed third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase (9:38.89).
- Sophomore Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) took fourth place in the 100-meter dash (11.68).
- First-year Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) placed fifth in the javelin throw (147-3).
- Bates' 4x100 relay team of first-year Anas Reda (Casablanca, Morocco), sophomore Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.), sophomore Michael Bennett (York, Maine) and first-year Cyrus Shirazi (Nyack, N.Y.) placed third in 46.35.
- Bates' 4x400 relay team of Corley, Kraft, Flynn and Griffin placed second (3:24.69).
Bates will host the Maine State Men's Outdoor Championships next Saturday, April 22, beginning at noon.