BOSTON -- Bates senior Jack Kiely broke the team record in the 1,000 meters to highlight the BU Valentine Invitational on Saturday for the Bobcat men's team.
Kiely (Severna Park, Md.) finished the 1,000-meter run in 2:26.30, breaking the team record by 0.48 seconds. The former team record of 2:26.78 was established by Mark McCauley in 2014 and tied by Gregg Heller in 2016.
Other performances by the Bobcats included:
- Senior Adedire Fakorede (Newark, N.J.) had the sixth-best weight throw out of 46 men at 57-10.25.
- Junior Tyler Harrington (Haverhill, Mass.) notched a career-best weight throw of 50-0.5. He was followed in the event by senior Tom Endean (McLean, Va.) at 46-2.75, first-year John Rex (Andover, Mass.) at 45-9.25, junior Dan Marino (Marblehead, Mass.) in 42-1.5 and first-year Zack Smith (Waterville, Maine) in 40-6.25.
- Senior Rob Flynn (Bedford, N.H.) ran the 40th-fastest time in a field of 230 runners in the 800-meter run, with a time of 1:54.30. Junior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) finished in 1:56.48, junior Ian Wax (Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.) finished in 1:58.11 and first-year Christopher Barker (Burlington, Vt.) finished in 2:02.61.
- Senior Zach Magin (West Hartford, Conn.) ran the 5,000 meters in 14:47.45, 2.24 seconds behind his personal record, while junior Henry Colt (Whatley, Mass.) and senior Stephen Rowe (Gambier, Ohio) both ran personal-best times at 15:05.10 and 15:17.87, respectively.
- Sophomore Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) cleared 6-0.75 in the high jump and ran the 60-meter hurdles in 8.84 seconds.
- Senior Ben Tonelli (Seattle, Wash.) ran the 3,000 meters in 8:42.82, while sophomore Justin Levine (Boca Raton, Fla.) finished in 8:48.17.
- Junior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) led five Bobcats in the 200-meter dash with a time of 23.31 seconds. He was followed by first-year Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) at 23.44 seconds, junior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) in 23.58, senior Kawai Marin (Reading, Mass.) in 24.46 and first-year Milan Lemon (Plantation, Fla.) in 25.17.
- First-year Volney Spalding (Alamo, Calif.) ran the mile in a season-best 4:27.01 while first-year Ryan Nealis (London, England) finished in 4:38.17.
- Sophomore Gabe Benson (Maplewood, N.J.) and junior Jonathan Sheehan (Tyngsborough, Mass.) finished the 1,000 meters in 2:39.35 and 2:42.83, respectively.
- First-year Elijah Coyne (Newtown, Pa.) ran the 500 meters in 1:09.04, while senior Christopher Lietz (Exeter, N.H.) finished in 1:12.10.
- Senior Caleb Stotz (Pittsburgh, Pa.) recorded a 40-1.5 in the triple jump.
- Junior Michael Somma (Colts Neck, N.J.) led three Bobcats in the 400-meter dash with a time of 50.64 seconds. Nabritt crossed the finish line in 52.80 seconds while Frank Fusco was at 52.92.
- Marin ran the 60 hurdles in 8.87 seconds, while Coyne finished in 9.27.
- On Friday night, Bates ran a 10:07.83 in the distance medley relay, with legs run by Flynn, Somma, Mark Fusco and Kiely.
Bates will next head to Middlebury College Feb. 16-17 for the New England Division III Indoor Championships.