Bates divers qualify for NCAAs in tri-meet with UNE and Norwich
LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates College women's swimming and diving team notched a pair of victories and the Bates men added another in a tri-meet with Norwich University and the University of New England on Saturday at Tarbell Pool.
Two Bates divers highlighted the day by qualifying for the NCAA Championships. Senior Dan Perry (Exeter, N.H.) qualified for nationals for the first time in his career in the 1-meter event, scoring 276.90 points to take first place. Perry also won at 3 meters with 262.60 points. And four-time All-American Kelsey Lamdin (Brunswick, Maine), in her first meet since spending last semester studying abroad, won and qualified for nationals in both 1- and 3-meter with 270.70 and 268.80 points, respectively.
The team head-to-head scores for the day were as follows:
Norwich 153.5, Bates 113.5
Bates 178, UNE 52
Norwich 193, UNE 38
Bates 212, Norwich 37
Bates 199, UNE 77
UNE 185, Norwich 50
Other standout performances for the Bates women included:
- Senior co-captain Annie Barton (Holladay, Utah), who won the 50-yard freestyle in 26.02 seconds and the 50-yard butterfly in 28.76 seconds;
- Sophomore Katelyn Drake (Hudson, Ohio), who won the 100-yard backstroke in 1:01.94 and the 200 freestyle in 2:01.85;
- Sophomore Sarah Reingold (Oakland, Calif.) won the 1,650 free in 19:39.64; and the 200 individual medley in 2:24.61;
- First-year Charlotte Green (New Canaan, Conn.), who won the 100-yard freestyle in 55.85 seconds and the 50-yard backstroke in 30.01 seconds;
- Senior Meghan Conley (Longmeadow, Mass.) took first in the 50 breaststroke in 34.02 seconds;
- Senior Emilie Swenson (Old Saybrook, Conn.) touched the wall first in the 500 freestyle, in 5:32.34;
- First-year Allison Lizars (East Hampton, N.Y.), Conley, Barton and Drake teamed up to win the 200 medley relay;
- Green, Swenson, first-year Kara Western (Salt Lake City, Utah) and senior Kelsey Omstead (Acton, Mass.) won the 200 freestyle relay in 1:49.65, just .03 ahead of UNE.
Other highlights for the Bates men included:
- First-year Peem Chatikavanij (Bangkok, Thailand) won the 100 butterfly in 1:00.35 and was part of the winning 200-yard freestyle relay with junior Bill Walsh (Huntington, N.Y.), first-year Patrick Carroll (North Andover, Mass.) and junior Nate Cooper (Chestertown, Md.);
- Junior Chris Berry (Augusta, Maine) tied Norwich's Ben Courtney in the 50-yard backstroke in 26.21 seconds;
- First-year Justin Giroux (Fairfield, Maine) took first place in the 50 breaststroke in 30.68 seconds.
Bates' next meet is at home vs. Colby on Jan. 26.