NORTHFIELD, Vt. -- Shortly after returning from their annual training trip to Florida, the Bates men's and women's swimming and diving teams produced a strong pair of wins on Saturday in a dual meet at Norwich University. The Bates men defeated the host Cadets 193-87 in team scoring, while the Bates women won 227-33.
Chief among the day's highlights, Bates set Norwich men's and women's pool records in the 800-yard freestyle relay, while sophomore Catherine Sparks (New Canaan, Conn.) set the pool record in the 50-yard breaststroke as well.
Sparks' first-place time of 31.48 seconds in the 50 breast stands as one of the best times notched this season by any NESCAC swimmer.
Other standout performances by the Bates women were Katy Zingale's (Sudbury, Mass.) winning time in the 50 butterfly (28.29), and first-year Gabrielle Sergi's (Newburyport, Mass.) 50 back time of 29.78 seconds.
Both of Bates' record-breaking 800 relays were keyed by strong anchor legs: for the men, junior Tom Boniface's (Youngstown, Ohio) leg finished off Bates' time of 7:26.18, following legs by first-years Sammy Schadt (Coopersburg, Pa.) and Won Ho Chang (Seoul, Korea), and sophomore Nick Karlson (Wayland, Mass.). For the women, Sergi led off, followed by senior Charlotte Green (New Canaan, Conn.), junior Kara Leasure (Los Alamos, N.M.) and a standout anchor leg by first-year Emilie Geissinger (Darien, Conn.), for a time of 8:06.40.
Head coach Peter Casares also lauded junior Ryan Pitcairn (Newbury, Mass.) for his winning time of 5:13.92 in the 500 free.
Other winning performances posted by the Bates men included:
- Sophomore Matt Johns (Seaford, N.Y.), Schadt, first-year Venkatesh Duvvuri (South Orange, N.J.) and junior Ned Scott (Maplewood, N.J.) in the 200 medley relay (1:44.39);
- Karlson in the 1,000 free (10:54.96);
- Junior Kick Sullivan (Westfield, Mass.) in the 200 free (1:54.90);
- Junior Alex McKeown (South Windsor, Conn.) in the 50 breast (30.52);
- Boniface in the 100 fly (55.56) and 100 back (58.09)
- Senior Pat Carroll (North Andover, Mass.) in the 50 free (23.27);
- Scott in the 50 fly (24.56); and
- Junior Dan Aupi (Branford, Conn.) in the 100 individual medley (55.75).
Other winning performances by the Bates women included:
- First-year Emilie Depew (Hudson, Ohio), junior Emily Tato (Chatham, N.J.), sophomore Tara Dugan (Wilton, Conn.) and Geissinger in the 200 medley relay (1:58.68);
- Junior Abigail Hanson (Sudbury, Mass.) in the 1,000 free (11:14.82);
- Depew in the 200 free (2:05.51);
- First-year Carly Hinkle (Arlington, Va.) in the 100 fly (1:05.93);
- Green in the 50 free (25.23) and 500 free (5:30.15)
- Geissinger in the 100 free (55.50);
- Junior Carole Lupi (Branford, Conn.) in the 100 back (1:06.46);
- Leasure in the 100 breast (1:11.74); and
- Sparks in the 100 individual medley (1:05.15).
Bates swims at NESCAC rival Middlebury on Sunday at 12 p.m.