LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates men's swimming and diving team defeated Wesleyan in a dual meet for the first time since 2001, by a decisive 138-55 score, in the opening meet for both teams on Saturday at Tarbell Pool. Meanwhile the Bates women also defeated Cardinals, by a 124-69 score, avenging a loss at Wesleyan a year ago but notching their second win in three years over the Cardinals.
"The team did a great job coming prepared to race today," said head coach Peter Casares. "It was apparent they had their mind set on competing at their best. Many of our times were faster than where we started last year, and that is a great sign."
For the Bates men, first-year Matthew Gagne (Winnetka, Ill.) won the 200 individual medley in 2:05.73 and the 100 butterfly in 53.48, and senior Travis Jones (Ithaca, N.Y.) took first in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events, with 231.95 points, respectively.
The Bates men started off with a 1:39.38 to 1:42.34 win in the 200 medley relay, with senior Nathaniel Depew (Hudson, Ohio) leading off, followed by senior Alex McKeown (South Windsor, Conn.), sophomore Venkatesh Duvvuri (South Orange, N.J.) and senior Dan Aupi (Branford, Conn.).
Other event winners for the Bates men included:
- First-year Alex Smachlo (Rexford, N.Y.) won the 500 free by .59 seconds in 4:59.29.
- Senior captain Tom Boniface (Youngstown, Ohio) won the 100 free in 49.03.
- Nathaniel Depew won the 100 back in 55.95.
- McKeown won the 100 breast in 1:02.70.
- Aupi won the 50 free in 22.41.
- Smachlo, senior Matt Lipoff (Glencoe, Ill.), Gagne and Boniface won the 800 free relay in 7:24.13.
Bates sophomore Gabrielle Sergi (Newburyport, Mass.) won a pair of individual races to pace the women's squad, taking first in the 50-yard freestyle race in 25.33 seconds after winning the 100 free in 55.03.
The Bates women took first place in eight out of 11 events, including both relays. They opened the meet with a 1.00-second win in the 200-yard medley relay, with sophomore Emily Depew (Hudson, Ohio) leading off, followed by junior Catherine Sparks (New Canaan, Conn.), first-year Hannah Kogan (Pacific Palisades, Calif.) and Sergi in the freestyle finish in 1:56.00.
Other event winners for the Bates women:
- Senior captain Kara Leasure (Los Alamos, N.M.) won the 500 free in 5:20.06.
- Kogan won the 100 butterfly in 1:02.14.
- Sophomore Emily White (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) won the 1-meter diving with 188.90 points.
- Senior Jessica Howard (Cumberland, Maine) won the 3-meter diving with 185.45 points.
- First-year Sarah Bouchard (Annapolis, Md.), senior Emily Tato (Chatham, N.J.), Leasure and sophomore Emilie Geissinger (Bismarck, N.D.) won the 800 free relay in 8:09.29.
Bates hosts Trinity College in another NESCAC dual meet on Sunday at 1pm. The meet can be followed via live video webcast.