LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates men's and women's swimming and diving teams swept rival Colby on Saturday at Tarbell Pool, with the women's team outscoring Colby 167-120 and the men's team prevailing by a 163-125 margin.
The Bates men defeated Colby for the second straight year but only the second time since 2004; for the Bates women it was also two in a row over the Mules, but only the second win since 2003.
The turning point of the men's meet was the 100-yard butterfly. With the Bobcats holding on to a two-point edge and just three events remaining, the Bobcats swept the top three spots, with senior Tom Boniface (Youngstown, Ohio) winning in 53.81, sophomore Venkatesh Duvvuri (South Orange, N.J.) second in 54.73 and first-year Alex Smachlo (Rexford, N.Y.) taking third place by .08 in 54.91.
Other standouts for the Bates men included:
- Senior Dan Aupi (Branford, Conn.) won the 100 backstroke in 54.08 and the 200 back in 2:00.49
- Boniface also won the 100 free in 48.90
- Smachlo won the 200 fly in 2:03.43.
- Sophomore Cody Jenkins (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) and was third in the 200 fly, in 2:07.14, and fourth in the 400 IM, in 4:37.01.
- Senior Rick Sullivan (Westfield, Mass.) won the 1,000 free handily in 10:37.44.
- First-year Matthew Gagne (Winnetka, Ill.) won the 400 individual medley in 4:20.83.
- Junior Travis Jones (Ithaca, N.Y.) easily won both diving events, scoring 254.75 points at 1 meter and 216.40 at 3 meters.
- Bates finished the meet with a winning 1:27.95 in the 200 free relay, with legs swum by first-year Nathaniel Ainley (Los Angeles, Calif.), senior Nathaniel Depew (Hudson, Ohio), Boniface and Aupi.
The women's team received another big performance from sophomore Gabrielle Sergi (Newburyport, Mass.), who capped a terrific weekend with a winning 55.17 time in the 100 free and a second-place showing in the 100 back (1:03.22).
The women got off to a great start, taking the top two places in the 200 medley relay. Sergi combined with senior Carole Lupi (Branford, Conn.), sophomore Amanda Moore (Shaker Heights, Ohio) and senior Catherine Sparks (New Canaan, Conn.) to post a winning time of 1:55.33.
Also starring for the Bates women:
- First-year Sarah Bouchard (Annapolis, Md.) took second in the 1,000 free in 10:52.13
- Sophomore Emily Depew (Hudson, Ohio) scored an impressive win in the 100 back at 1:02.04, and another in the 200 back at 2:14.10.
- Sophomore Emilie Geissinger (Bismarck, N.D.) defeated Colby's Sarah Hansen by .01 in the 50 free, with her time of 25.88 seconds. She was also third in the 100 fly (1:02.29.).
- Moore won the 100 breast in 1:12.46.
- Senior Kara Leasure (Los Alamos, N.M.) won the 400 IM by more than seven seconds, in 4:49.41.
- First-year Megan Lapp (Wellesley, Mass.) won the 1-meter diving with 193.90 points and the 3-meter diving with 187.65.
- Sergi, Depew, sophomore Carly Hinkle (Arlington, Va.) and Geissinger won the 200 free relay in 1:41.21.
The Bates teams will return to action on Saturday, Feb. 4, as Wellesley and Connecticut College visit Tarbell Pool.