WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Bates swimming and diving teams traveled to nearby rival Colby on Saturday and defeated the rival Mules in team scoring, 196-103 on the men's side and 146-142 for the women.
Sophomore Matt Hillsberg (Sayville, N.Y.) highlighted the men's team with a big win in the 500-yard freestyle (5:05.82), while sophomore Andrew Seaton (Wayne, Pa.) had a tremendous win in the 200 backstroke, at 2:21.94.
The Bates' men's team's divers, senior Travis Jones (Ithaca, N.Y.) and first-year Porter Harrast (Decatur, Ga.), finished 1-2 against three opponents from Colby at both 1 and 3 meters. Jones scored 255.30 at 3 and 262.40 at 1, while Harrast notched 190.15 points at 3 meters and 232.40 at 1.
The Bates women received a number of big performances as well. Sophomore Nell Briggs (Concord, Mass.) won the 200 free in 2:00.31, nipping first-year teammate Caroline Depew (Hudson, Ohio) by a tenth of a second.
Junior Gabrielle Sergi (Newburyport, Mass.) suffered her first individual loss of the season, incredibly, by a 1:03.20 to 1:02.56 margin in the 100-yard backstroke. Sergi still claimed first place in the 100 free, at 54.95.
Sophomore Sarah Bouchard (Annapolis, Md.) won both the 1,000 free in 11:01.72 and the 500 free in 5:23.19.
Sophomore Anne Schwarzwalder (Columbia, Md.) nearly won the 200 backstroke, dropping three seconds off of her season's best at 2:15.72.
First-year Melissa Paione (Auburn, Maine) won the 100 breast in 1:11.19 and the 200 breast in 2:34.79.
Other men's team event winners were:
- Sophomore Alex Smachlo (Rexford, N.Y.) won the 1,000 free in 10:28.87.
- First-year Ben Sommer (Evanston, Ill.) won the 100 back in 58.21, as well as the 200 back in 2:07.95.
- Sophomore Andrew Briggs (York, Maine) won the 100 breast in 1:03.10.
- Junior Venkatesh Duvvuri (South Orange, N.J.) won the 200 fly (2:02.88).
- Sophomore Matthew Gagne (Winnetka, Ill.) won the 100 fly in 53.89 seconds and the 200 individual medley in 2:06.26.
Next up for Bates is a meet at Wellesley College on Feb. 2 at 1pm, with Connecticut College also slated to compete.