Women's squash wraps up regular season with win at Tufts
Schuyler Haynes '07
BELMONT, Mass. -- The Bates College women's squash team defeated Tufts University on Tuesday at the Belmont Hill School, 6-3, despite being unable to field players at three positions due to mid-term exams.
The Bobcats (17-7), ranked No. 10 by the College Squash Association, next play at team nationals, also known as the Howe Cup, this weekend at Yale University. They will again compete in the bracket for teams ranked No. 9 through 16 and will vie for their fourth consecutive Kurtz Cup title as the best of that bracket. Seeded No. 10, Bates will face 15th-seeded Colby in the first round of the draw on Friday at 5:30 p.m.
Bates 6, Tufts 3
1) Kelsey Engman (B) def. Victoria Barba (T) 9-0, 9-0, 9-2
2) Charlotte Gerrish (B) def. Jules Avrutin (T) 10-8, 9-4, 9-6
3) Schuyler Haynes (B) def. Stefanie Marx (T) 5-9, 3-9, 10-8, 9-7, 9-3
4) Sarah Blomstedt (B) def. Liz Thys (T) 9-6, 2-9, 4-9, 9-7, 9-6
5) Caroline Lemoine (B) def. Jessica Herrmann (T) 9-5, 9-1, 9-0
6) Margot Webel (B) def. Micela Leis (T) 9-1, 9-4, 9-1
7) Tufts def. Bates - default
8) Tufts def. Bates - default
9) Tufts def. Bates - default