|First-year Cheri-Ann Parris defeated Brown's No. 1 player for Bates' point.|
NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Playing in the semifinals of the Kurtz (B Division) Cup bracket at the College Squash Association Team Nationals the Bates College women's squash team fell 8-1 to Brown University on Saturday morning.
The Bobcats (18-8) will play Mount Holyoke on Sunday at 9 a.m. to determine the 11th and 12th teams in the final national rankings. The Bobcats topped the Lyons 6-3 at home on Jan. 30.
Taking the lone point for Bates was first-year sensation Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Phillip, Barbados), who defeated Brown's No. 1 player Laura Pyne 3-0 at the No. 1 spot in the lineup. Bates also put up a tough fight at positions 2 through 4 -- respectively, senior Hannah Laverty (Cape Elizabeth, Maine), senior Whitney Roller (Haverford, Pa.) and sophomore Mimi Neal (Danvers, Mass.) -- all of which were decided by 3-2 scores.
Brown 8, Bates 1
1. Parris,Cheri-Ann (Bates) def. Pyne,Laura (Brown) 11-4,11-8,11-4
2. Laverty,Hannah (Bates) def. by Fadaifard,Nikoo (Brown) 11-9,6-11,11-7,11-4
3. Roller,Whitney (Bates) def. by Crosky,Sarah (Brown) 11-8,11-1,9-11,12-10
4. Neal,Maura (Bates) def. by Schellenberg,Kali (Brown) 7-11,11-6,11-7,10-12,11-6
5. Bragg,Alison (Bates) def. by Scherl,Sophie (Brown) 11-7,11-3,11-7
6. Cabot,Stephanie (Bates) def. by Kohnen,Erika (Brown) 11-9,11-7,11-7
7. Hogeland,Anna (Bates) def. by Tilney,Carolyn (Brown) 11-3,11-5,11-8
8. Dorison,Liza (Bates) def. by Roberts,Sarah (Brown) 11-8,11-4,11-4
9. Maciewicz,Morgan (Bates) def. by Smith,Lydia (Brown) 11-4,11-4,11-3
(10.) Russell,Emily (Bates) def. by Beresford,Sarah (Brown) 11-2,11-4,11-4