|First-year Cheri-Ann Parris came back from a 2-0 deficit to clinch Bates' win over Mt. Holyoke. Parris went 3-0 individually on the weekend at the No. 1 spot in the Bobcats' lineup.|
NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- The Bates College women's squash team edged Mount Holyoke 5-4 on Sunday in the Bobcats' final match of the College Squash Association Team Nationals at Yale, earning a final national ranking of 11th.
The match came down to the No. 1 position in the lineup, where first-year Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Phillip, Barbados) came back from a 2-0 deficit to notch a 3-2 win over the Lyons' top player.
Winning Bates' other four points were senior Whitney Roller (Haverford, Pa.), who prevailed 3-2 at No. 3, junior Stephanie Cabot (Dover, Mass.), who won 3-0 at No. 6, sophomore Anna Hogeland (Williamstown, Mass.), who won 3-0 at No. 7, and senior Morgan Maciewicz (Marblehead, Mass.), who also came back from a 2-0 deficit to win 3-2 at No. 9.
The Bobcats finished the season at 19-8 and reversed the result of two years ago at CSA Team Nationals, when Mt. Holyoke topped Bates 5-4 to earn 11th place and relegate the Bobcats to 12th. It is Bates' highest final ranking since placing 10th in 2007.
Bates 5, Mount Holyoke 4
1. Parris,Cheri-Ann (B) def. Gurunada,Vidushi (MH) 8-11,9-11,11-8,11-6,11-7
2. Laverty,Hannah (B) def. by Robinson,Laura (MH) 4-11,5-11,11-8,11-5,14-12
3. Roller,Whitney (B) def. Robertson,Shara (MH) 2-11,11-9,11-6,9-11,13-11
4. Neal,Maura (B) def. by Lue Yen,Laurian (MH) 11-2,11-5,11-5
5. Bragg,Alison (B) def. by Bowden,Tempest (MH) 11-0,11-4,11-13,11-6
6. Cabot,Stephanie (B) def. Khan,Lila (MH) 11-5,11-7,11-2
7. Hogeland,Anna (B) def. Rojek,Paulina (MH) 11-5,11-5,11-5
8. Dorison,Liza (B) def. by Zagardo,Michelle (MH) 8-11,7-11,11-8,11-8,11-8
9. Maciewicz,Morgan (B) def. Simpson,Hillela (MH) 9-11,9-11,11-7,11-3,11-8