LEWISTON, Maine -- The defending national champion Harvard women's squash team won its 18th straight match with a 9-0 defeat of No. 12 Bates on Wednesday at the Bates Squash Center.
The Crimson (6-0), playing the Bobcats for the first time since 1999, won every set, even in Nirasha Gurgue's 11-4, 11-7, 11-2 victory over Bates sophomore Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Philip, Barbados), the national women's player of the week and a top-20 nationally ranked player. Guruge is ranked seventh in the country.
Bates first-year Ashley Brooks (Boston, Mass.) scored the most points of any Bobcat, falling 11-3, 11-8, 11-6 to Natasha Kingshott at the third position on the ladder.
Bates (7-8) next plays NESCAC rival and 11th-ranked Middlebury on Friday at 5:30 p.m. at Yale University. Harvard plays host to Trinity on Jan. 26.
Harvard 9, Bates 0
Jan. 19, 2011 at Bates
1) Parris,Cheri-Ann (B) def. by Gurgue,Nirasha (H) 11-4,11-7,11-2
2) Neal,Maura V (B) def. by Mashruwala,Alisha (H) 11-0,11-1,11-1
3) Brooks,Ashley M (B) def. by Kingshott,Natasha (H) 11-3,11-8,11-6
4) Bragg,Alison H (B) def. by Mumanachit,Sarah (H) 11-3,11-3,11-0
5) Cabot,Stephanie (B) def. by Tiong,June (H) 11-4,11-3,11-3
6) Matos,Samantha (B) def. by Cortes,Cecelia (H) 11-3,11-3,11-2
7) Drammeh,Rakey (B) def. by Williams,Bethan (H) 11-3,11-2,11-5
8) Hogeland,Anna (B) def. by Rajan,Vidya (H) 11-3,11-0,11-7
9) Dorison,Liza C. (B) def. by Zindman,Alexandra M. (H) 11-4,11-3,11-5
10) (Exhibition) Mayer,Jane W. (B) def. by Calihan,Eliza M (H) 11-3,11-5,11-2