Women's squash defeats Mt. Holyoke for 11th place at nationals
PRINCETON, N.J. -- For the second straight year, the Bates women's squash team defeated Mount Holyoke 5-4 on Sunday morning at the CSA Team Nationals at Princeton, to finish 11th in the final College Squash Association national rankings.
The Bobcats (15-11), needing every individual win they could get in order to beat the Lyons (14-12) for the second time this season, received a 3-0 win at the No. 1 spot on the ladder from sophomore Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Philip, Barbados) over Randima Ranaweera.
Mount Holyoke prevailed at positions 2 through 5, but Bates ran the table at positions 6 through 9 to clinch the win. First-years Samantha Matos (New York, N.Y.), Rakey Drammeh (New York, N.Y.) and Jane Mayer (Bronxville, N.Y.) won at 6, 7 and 9, respectively, while senior Anna Hogeland (Williamstown, Mass.) extended her personal winning streak to eight matches with a 3-0 victory over Paulina Rojek at No. 8. Sophomore Liza Dorison (Longmeadow, Mass.) won the exhibition match as well.
Hogeland, Matos and Parris all went 3-0 on the weekend.
Bates had defeated Mt. Holyoke 7-2 on the Lyons' home courts on Jan. 14.
Some members of the Bobcats will compete at CSA Individual Nationals, taking place March 4-6 at Dartmouth.
Bates 5, Mount Holyoke 4
Feb. 20, 2011 at Princeton (Jadwin Courts)
1. Parris, Cheri-Ann (B) def. Ranaweera, Randima (MH) 11-4, 11-7, 11-5
2. Brooks, Ashley M (B) def. by Gurunada, Vidushi (MH) 11-5, 11-4, 11-5
3. Neal, Maura V (B) def. by Robertson, Shara (MH) 11-3, 11-1, 9-11, 11-5
4. Bragg, Alison H (B) def. by Madraswala, Shaheen (MH) 11-7, 11-7, 11-4
5. Cabot, Stephanie (B) def. by Bowden, Tempest (MH) 11-8, 11-5, 11-6
6. Matos, Samantha (B) def. Intal, Katrina (MH) 6-11, 14-12, 11-9, 11-5
7. Drammeh, Rakey (B) def. Brummer, Kathryn (MH) 12-10, 11-8, 11-7
8. Hogeland, Anna (B) def. Rojek, Paulina M. (MH) 11-4, 11-4, 11-5
9. Mayer, Jane W. (B) def. Nguyen, My-Linh (MH) 11-2, 11-8, 11-7
(10.) Dorison, Liza C. (B) def. Taylor, Elyse E. (MH) 11-5, 11-6, 11-9