LEWISTON, Maine -- The No. 10 nationally ranked Bates women's squash team rang up its first victory ever over rival and ninth-ranked Williams on Sunday at the Bates Squash Center, and they did it with relative ease, winning 7-2. With the teams' matches dating back to 1986, the Bobcats now stand 1-23 all-time against the Ephs.
First-year Myriam Kelly (Bronx, N.Y.) helped set the tone for the Bobcats by winning their first point at the No. 3 position, with a 3-0 win over Ellie O'Neill. More victories ensued for Bates at the No. 9 spot, where first-year Lesea Bourke (Greenwich, Conn.) defeated Gibbs Cullen 3-1; at No. 2, where junior captain Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Philip, Barbados) won three straight sets for a 3-1 win over Courtney Bogle; at No. 1, where first-year phenom Nessrine Ariffin (Penang, Malaysia) disposed of the Ephs' No. 1 player, Alli Rubin, in a quick 3-0 match, and at No. 5, where sophomore Samantha Matos (New York, N.Y.) also won three straight sets for a 3-1 win over Alyssa Northrop.
Sophomore Ashley Brooks (Roslindale, Mass.) helped clinch the win for Bates with her 3-0 triumph over Laura Henry at No. 4. Still to come were wins by junior Ali Bragg (Darien, Conn.) at No. 8 and first-year Chloe Mitchell (Chatham, N.J.) at No. 7. at the No. 9 spot, where first-year Lesea Bourke (Greenwich, Conn.) defeated Gibbs Cullen 3-1.
Bates (7-1) will get another big test as the Bobcats next play No. 6 Stanford at the Yale Round Robin on Friday at 6:30pm.
Bates 7, Williams 2
Jan. 8, 2012 at Bates Squash Center
1. Ariffin, Nessrine (B) def. Rubin, Alli (W) 11-7, 11-6, 11-6
2. Parris, Cheri-Ann (B) def. Bogle, Courtney W. (W) 9-11, 11-9, 11-5, 11-9
3. Kelly, Myriam (B) def. O'Neill, Ellie (W) 11-6, 11-6, 12-10
4. Brooks, Ashley M (B) def. Henry, Laura E (W) 11-8, 11-5, 13-11
5. Matos, Samantha (B) def. by Northrop, Alyssa (W) 8-11, 11-5, 11-2, 11-5
6. Drammeh, Rakey (B) def. by Kaemmer, Carolyn (W) 9-11, 11-9, 12-10, 10-12, 11-4
7. Mitchell, Chloe (B) def. Sawin, Caroline (W) 11-9, 11-6, 5-11, 11-9
8. Bragg, Alison H (B) def. Saltzman, Eliana (W) 11-4, 11-8, 8-11, 11-5
9. Bourke, Lesea (B) def. Cullen, Gibbs (W) 11-5, 7-11, 13-11, 11-9