HARTFORD, Conn. -- Trinity College's No. 1 player, Catalina Pelaez, avenged her early-season loss to Bates first-year phenom Nessrine Ariffin, leading the Bantams to a 9-0 win in the championship match of the sixth NESCAC Squash Championships on Sunday afternoon at Trinity.
Bates (17-5), the second seed, made its first-ever appearance in the tournament finals and had a seven-match winning streak come to an end. Ariffin, who defeated Pelaez 3-1 on Nov. 20 in an 8-1 loss for the Bobcats, suffered only her second loss of the season, against 15 wins at No. 1.
Trinity (14-2), the top seed, has won all six NESCAC titles.
First-year Myriam Kelly (New York, N.Y.) completed an outstanding weekend by winning the Bobcats' lone set win, in a 3-1 (11-7, 7-11, 11-5, 11-9) setback to Alicia Rodrigues at the third spot on the ladder.
Trinity 9, Bates 0
Feb 5, 2012 at Trinity College
1. Catalina Paleaz (TRI) def. Nessrine Ariffin (BAT) 12-10, 11-2, 11-6
2. Weenee Low (TRI) def. Cheri-Ann Parris (BAT) 11-6, 11-2, 11-7
3. Alicia Rodrigues (TRI) def. Myriam Kelly (BAT) 11-7, 7-11, 11-5, 11-9
4. Ashley Tidman (TRI) def. Samantha Matos (BAT) 14-12, 11-0, 11-0
5. Naty Babjukova (TRI) def. Rakey Drammeh (BAT) 11-7, 11-5, 11-3
6. Jennifer Pelletier (TRI) def. Chloe Mitchell (BAT) 11-1, 11-3, 11-3
7. Robyn Hodgson (TRI) def. Ali Bragg (BAT) 11-4, 11-6, 11-4
8. Andrea Echeverria (TRI) def. Lesea Bourke (BAT) 11-7, 11-5, 11-4
9. Pamela Larromana (TRI) def. Rokya Samake (BAT) 11-0, 11-0, 11-2
Exh. Katie Wymard (TRI) def. Chloe Mitchell (BAT) 11-5, 11-7, 11-7
Update (March 2, 2012): Bates Forfeits Women's Squash Match Against Williams
HADLEY, Mass. – Bates College has informed the NESCAC that it has forfeited its semifinal match from the conference's women's squash championship on Feb. 4 against Williams following a ruling by the College Squash Association regarding the match.
The NESCAC has accepted the forfeit, and the result of the match will be a 7-2 decision in favor of Williams as per the decision by the CSA.
In addition, Bates will no longer be listed as the second place team for the 2012 NESCAC Women's Squash Championship. The position will remain vacant and no other conference team will be listed as the runner-up.