CANTON, N.Y. -- The No. 9 Bates women's squash team easily defeated No. 27 St. Lawrence 9-0 Saturday morning. The Bobcats took all but two games in 3-0 fashion.
In her No. 1 debut on the season, Junior Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Philip, Barbados) was 1-1 through two sets against St. Lawrence's Brigitte Tousignant. Parris battled back to win the final two sets and the game (11-4,6-11,13-11,11-9). No. 9 first-year Rokya Samake (New York, N.Y.) followed Parris in a four game win. Samake won the first two sets, dropped the third, and recorded the defeat in the fourth (11-7,11-4,9-11,11-5). Bates went 3-0 in the No. 2 through No. 8 positions on the ladder ensuring the victory with the combined points per game reaching a staggering 198-61.
Bates (10-3) takes the court again today, Jan. 22, at 12 pm against No. 7 Cornell and at 2 pm against No. 18 Hamilton. Both games are being hosted by Hamilton.
Bates 9, St. Lawrence 0
Jan. 21, 2012 at St. Lawrence University
1. Tousignant,Brigitte (SL) def. by Parris,Cheri-Ann (B), 11-4,6-11,13-11,11-9
2. Hearn,Jennifer (SL) def. by Kelly,Myriam (B), 11-3,11-1,11-6
3. Harty,Kendall (SL) def. by Brooks,Ashley M (B), 11-2,11-0,11-3
4. Coxe,Brittany (SL) def. by Matos,Samantha (B), 11-6,11-1,11-7
5. Edson,Charlotte K. (SL) def. by Drammeh,Rakey (B), 11-6,11-4,11-2
6. Caplan,Molly R. (SL) def. by Mitchell,Chloe (B), 11-3,11-0,11-3
7. Benedict,Cecile P. (SL) def. by Bragg,Alison H (B), 11-3,11-2,11-4
8. Holby,Kate (SL) def. by Bourke,Lesea (B), 11-1,11-1,11-3
9. Fisher,Carolyn E. (SL) def. by Samake,Rokya (B), 11-7,11-4,9-11,11-5