BOSTON -- The No. 11 nationally ranked Bates women's squash team swept each game in a 9-0 win at Northeastern University on Friday night.
First-year Myriam Kelly (Bronx, N.Y.) outfought Northeastern's top player, Jennifer Janeck, for a 12-10 win in the first game of her college career, before winning the next two more easily, 11-8 and 11-5, at the No. 1 position on the ladder. Five first-years in all won their won their debuts for Bates: Chloe Mitchell (Chatham, N.J.) at No. 4, Lesea Bourke (Greenwich, Conn.) at No. 5, Rokya Samake (New York, N.Y.) at No. 7, all by 3-0 scores, while Sugeiry Betances (New York, N.Y.) and Zaina Ameen (Islamabad, Pakistan) both won by default.
Bates (1-0) has a trio of big matches on Saturday at MIT, facing Brown at 10am, Connecticut College at noon and Wesleyan at 2pm. The Bobcats return home to play host to No. 4 Trinity on Sunday at 11am.
Bates 9, Northeastern 0
Nov. 18, 2011 at Northeastern
1. Janeck,Jennifer (N) def. by Kelly,Myriam (B) 12-10,11-8,11-5
2. Evans,Carly (N) def. by Brooks,Ashley M (B) 11-3,11-1,11-3
3. Georgescu,Amanda C. (N) def. by Drammeh,Rakey (B) 11-0,11-3,11-2
4. Tran,Hoai (N) def. by Mitchell,Chloe (B) 11-3,11-2,11-3
5. Tat,Trinh (N) def. by Bourke,Lesea (B) 11-1,11-1,11-1
6. Ganley,Sarah E. (N) def. by Mayer,Jane W. (B) 11-2,11-3,11-1
7. Mukund,Sumita (N) def. by Samake,Rokya (B) 11-1,11-0,11-4
8. Betances,Sugeiry (B) wins by default
9. Ameen,Zaina (B) wins by default