ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The No. 12 preseason nationally ranked Bates women's squash team opened the 2012-13 campaign with a pair of matches on Saturday at George Washington University, and were edged by the host and 16th-ranked Colonials 5-4 before falling 9-0 to No. 5 Penn. On Sunday the Bobcats traveled to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., for an easy 9-0 win over Bucknell University.
Senior captain Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Philip, Barbados) defeated GW's Jacqueline Shea 3-1 at the No. 2 position on the ladder, after dropping the first set; sophomore Myriam Kelly (Bronx, N.Y.) pulled off the same feat at No. 3 in a 3-1 win over Kelly Barnes. Sophomores Chloe Mitchell (Chatham, N.J.) and Lesea Bourke (Greenwich, Conn.) outlasted their Colonials opponent in five sets at Nos. 4 and 6, respectively.
Bates sophomore Nessrine Ariffin (Penang, Malaysia), the NESCAC Rookie of the Year and a Second Team All-America selection last year, suffered a 3-1 loss to GW's Anna Porras, before facing her older sister and fellow Second Team All-American, Penn senior Nabilla Ariffin, who defeated Nessrine in straight sets, 11-5, 11-6, 11-7 -- still Bates' most competitive match. The Quakers won every set in their win over the Bobcats.
Bates went on to face Bucknell University on Sunday at the U.S. Naval Academy; match results will be posted when available.
Bates next faces Tufts at Harvard on Nov. 30 at 7pm.
Bates 9, Bucknell 0
Nov. 18, 2012 at Annapolis, Md.
1. Parris,Cheri-Ann (Bates) def. Kelly,Ana (Bucknell) 11-4,11-4,11-2
2. Kelly,Myriam (Bates) def. Stout,Eleanor C (Bucknell) 11-6,11-3,11-5
3. Mitchell,Chloe (Bates) def. Hilton,Margaret A (Bucknell) 11-6,11-4,11-5
4. Bragg,Alison H (Bates) def. Barker,Ellie (Bucknell) 11-7,11-8,11-6
5. Bourke,Lesea (Bates) def. Antonacci,Sarah M. (Bucknell) 11-0,11-0,11-0
6. Meedzan,Bridget E. (Bates) def. Beaumont,Nicola J (Bucknell) 11-0,11-0,11-0
7. Korein,Emma A. (Bates) def. Cutler,Caroline (Bucknell) 11-0,11-0,11-0
8. Betances,Sugeiry (Bates) def. Feldman,Rebecca (Bucknell) 11-0,11-0,11-0
9. (Bates) def. Busacca,Allison (Bucknell) 11-0,11-0,11-0
Bates 5, George Washington 4
Nov. 17, 2012 at Washington, D.C.
1. Porras,Anna G. (GW) def. Ariffin,Nessrine (B) 6-11,11-3,11-5,11-1
2. Shea,Jacqueline A. (GW) def. by Parris,Cheri-Ann (B) 7-11,11-4,11-5,12-10
3. Barnes,Kelly K (GW) def. by Kelly,Myriam (B) 7-11,11-8,11-6,11-4
4. Levyn,Emely J. (GW) def. by Mitchell,Chloe (B) 5-11,11-9,8-11,11-8,11-6
5. Tzarnas,Alexa N (GW) def. Bragg,Alison H (B) 11-5,11-7,8-11,8-11,12-10
6. Tapley,Elizabeth S. (GW) def. by Bourke,Lesea (B) 11-7,6-11,11-7,10-12,11-5
7. Nair,Maya (GW) def. Meedzan,Bridget E. (B) 11-0,11-3,11-7
8. Allen,Sarah (GW) def. Korein,Emma A. (B) 11-1,11-4,11-1
9. Calderon,Adriana (GW) def. Betances,Sugeiry (B) 11-0,11-4,11-1
Penn 9, Bates 0
Nov. 17, 2012 at Washington, D.C.
1. Ariffin,Nessrine (B) def. by Ariffin,Nabilla (P) 11-5,11-6,11-7
2. Parris,Cheri-Ann (B) def. by Tan,Yan Xin (P) 11-5,11-2,11-2
3. Kelly,Myriam (B) def. by Goh,Rachael (P) 11-1,11-2,11-4
4. Mitchell,Chloe (B) def. by Lala,Haidi (P) 11-4,11-7,11-6
5. Bragg,Alison H (B) def. by Lanier,Camille I. (P) 11-0,11-3,11-4
6. Bourke,Lesea (B) def. by Agnew,Ailsa B. (P) 11-3,11-0,11-2
7. Meedzan,Bridget E. (B) def. by Fehm,Colleen M. (P) 11-4,11-0,11-1
8. Korein,Emma A. (B) def. by Blacker,Chloe H. (P) 11-1,11-0,11-2
9. Betances,Sugeiry (B) def. by Vogel,Stephanie M (P) 11-1,11-0,11-1