Caryn Benisch '09
Laura Harris '07
Alexandra Piacquad '10
Mallika Raghavan '08
EWING, N.J. -- The Lions of No. 23-ranked The College of New Jersey’s women’s tennis team recorded a 7-2 win over Bates College on Wednesday afternoon. TCNJ has now won captured five wins in a row and stands at 13-1 on the season, while Bates College drops to 4-7 on the season. TCNJ is a perfect 11-0 at home this season.
Bates posted impressive doubles performances to take a 2-1 advantage at the completion of the doubles competition, before TCNJ rallied to win all six singles matches and record the 7-2 win.
At first doubles, the Bobcats were led by sophomore Caryn Benisch (Huntington, N.Y.) and senior captain Laura Harris (Mercer Island, Wash.) handed the Lions top doubles pair of freshman Jackie Shtemberg (Franklin Lakes, N.J.) and junior Christina Contrafatto (Cherry Hill, N.J.) an 8-5 loss. TCNJ’s pair earned the No. 1 regional ranking on Monday in the Northeast Region and with Wednesday’s setback now stand at 22-5 this year overall and 11-2 in dual meet play, while Benisch and Harris are now 4-3 together this spring.
Bates was also a winner at second doubles as freshman Alexandra Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) and junior Mallika Raghavan (Chappaqua, N.Y.) posted a 9-7 win over TCNJ’s senior, Kristen Turturtiello (Berkeley Heights, N.J.) and freshman Tamra Wroblesky (Freehold, N.J.).
Ranked No. 7 regionally in singles play, Shtemberg bested Benisch 6-4, 6-1 at first singles and now stands at 25-3 overall with a 13-0 dual meet record. Also ranked regionally in singles play for the first time this year, Contrafatto recorded a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 2 singles over Piacquad to improve to 11-1 this year and 46-14 on her career.
At No. 4 singles, Turturtiello was a 6-1, 6-0 winner over Raghavan to improve to 15-3 this season overall with a 9-0 dual meet record, while adding to her career resume that now includes a 64-19 singles mark.
TCNJ returns to action on April 20 when they travel to Swarthmore College for a 3:30 p.m. match, while Bates College will travel to Connecticut College on April 21 for an 8 a.m. match.
Tennis Match Results
Bates College vs The College of New Jersey
4/18/2007 at TCNJ
#23 The College of New Jersey 7, Bates College 2,
1. Jackie Shtemberg (TCNJ) def. Caryn Benisch (BATES) vs. 6-4, 6-1
2. Christina Contraffatto (TCNJ def. Alexandra Piacquad (BATES) 6-1, 6-1
3. Haley Kutner (TCNJ) def. Julie Harris (BATES) 6-2, 6-2
4. Kristen Turturiello (TCNJ) def. Mallika Raghavan (BATES) 6-1, 6-0
5. Stefanie Haar (TCNJ) def. Julie Brown (BATES) 6-3, 6-0
6. Lindsay Katzel (TCNJ) def. Laura Will (BATES) 6-0, 6-0
1. Caryn Benisch/Julie Harris (BATES) def. Jackie Shtemberg/Christina Contraffatto (TCNJ) 8-5
2. Alexandra Piacquad/Mallika Raghavan (BATES) def. Kristen Turturiello/Tamra Wroblesky (T) ,9-7
3. Haley Kutner/Stefanie Haar (TCNJ) def. Julie Brown/Laura Will (BATES) 8-0
-- TCNJ Sports Information