Judges defeat Bobcats in women's tennis
|Mallika Raghavan '08 took her opponent at No. 3 singles to three sets.|
LEWISTON, Maine -- Brandeis University defeated Bates College by a 9-0 score Saturday in a non-conference women's tennis match played at Merrill Indoor Gymasium.
Brandeis's Rachel Rosman and Colleen Donnelly set the tone for the Judges (5-2) by winning at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively, and teaming up to win a spirited match at first doubles over Bates sophomore Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) and junior Caryn Benisch (Huntington, N.Y.). Bates senior Mallika Raghavan (Chappaqua, N.Y.) took Gabrielle Helfgott to a third set on No. 3 doubles.
Bates (1-4) will play at Colby on Tuesday, March 18 at 5 p.m.; Brandeis will host Babson College on March 25.
Women's Tennis Result
March 15, 2008 at Lewiston, Maine
Brandeis 9, Bates 0
1. Colleen Donnelly/Rachel Rosman (Brandeis) def. Alex Piacquad/Caryn Benisch (Bates), 9-8 (3)
2. Gabrielle Helfgott/Mackenzie Gallegos (Brandeis) def. Mallika Raghavan/Liz Fleming (Bates), 8-4
3. Jen Levine/Ariana Sanai (Brandeis) def. Jean Gulliver/Caroline Gottlieb (Bates), 8-3
1. Rosman def. Piacquad, 6-3, 6-3
2. Donnelly def. Benisch, 6-2, 6-4
3. Helfgott def. Raghavan, 6-3, 3-6, (10-5)
4. Gallegos def. Fleming, 6-2, 6-2
5. Sanai def. Gulliver, 6-3, 7-6 (7)
6. Emily Weisberger (Brandeis) def. Gottlieb, 6-4, 7-5