LEWISTON, Maine -- Trinity College swept doubles play en route to a 7-2 NESCAC women's tennis victory on Saturday at the Wallach Tennis Center. Bates dropped to 3-8 overall and 0-4 in NESCAC matches, while Trinity raised its record to 9-4 overall, 2-2 in conference.
Bates received wins at first and second singles from senior Caryn Benisch (Huntington, N.Y.) and junior Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.), respectively. Piacquad fought through her recent illness to play her best match of the season, prevailing 6-2, 6-2 over Arielle Leben. Benisch outlasted Amanda Tramont in three sets at No. 1.
The match had already been decided when Trinity's Olivia Merns and Bates junior Jean Gulliver (Falmouth, Maine) started play at No. 6 singles. The two played a pro set, with Merns winning 8-1.
Bates next plays at NESCAC opponent Hamilton on Sunday, April 19 at 2 p.m.; Trinity plays at Smith College on Wednesday at 3:30.
Trinity 7, Bates 2
1. Amanda Tramont/Sarah Gould (T) def Caryn Benisch/Alex Piacquad (B) 8-6
2. Robyn Williams/Olivia Merns (T) def Brooke Morse-Karzen/Erika Blauth (B) 8-3
3. Arielle Leben/Jillian Steckloff (T) def Jean Gulliver/Meg Anderson (B) 8-6
1. Benisch (B) def Tramont (T) 6-4, 1-6, 10-7
2. Piacquad (B) def Leben (T) 6-2, 6-2
3. Gould (T) def Anderson (B) 6-3, 6-1
4. Williams (T) def Morse-Karzen (B) 6-0, 6-0
5. Steckloff (T) def Blauth (B) 6-1, 6-0
6. Merns (T) def Gulliver (B) 8-1