Women's tennis wins 7-2 at Connecticut College
|Caryn Benisch '09 went 2-0 on the day at No. 1 singles and doubles.|
NEW LONDON, Conn. -- The Bates College women's tennis team posted a 7-2 victory at Connecticut College on Sunday, sweeping the three doubles matches and winning four out of six singles matches.
Senior captain Caryn Benisch (Huntington, N.Y.) set the tone for Bates with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Rebecca Heupel at No. 1 singles. Benisch teamed up with junior Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) for an 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles over Heupel and Caroline Barone. Going 2-0 on the day in singles and doubles were Benisch, first-year Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.), first-year Brooke Morse-Karzen (Wilmette, Ill.) and first-year Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine).
Bates (3-7) will next host Trinity on Saturday at 10 a.m.
For more on this story and what's going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates College 7, Connecticut College 2
1. Caryn Benisch (B) def. Rebecca Heupel (CC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Caroline Barone (CC) def. Alexandra Piacquad (B) 6-3, 6-3
3. Meg Anderson (B) def. Sara Yeransian (CC) 7-5, 6-2
4. Brooke Morse-Karzen (B) def. Alicia Cauteruccio (CC) 7-6, 6-2
5. Erika Blauth (B) def. Ariel Olswanger (CC) 6-3, 7-6
6. Brittany Badik (CC) def. Maria Rouvalis (B) 2-6, 6-0, (11-9)
1. Benisch/Piacquad (B) def. Heupel/Barone (CC) 8-5
2. Morse-Karzen/Blauth (B) def. Yeransian/Olswanger (CC) 9-7
3. Anderson/Elizabeth Stege (B) def. Badik/Cauteruccio (CC) 8-4