Bates women's tennis scores rare win over MIT, 7-2
Alex Piacquad '10
LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates College women's tennis team stayed unbeaten and defeated MIT for the first time since at least 1998 by a 7-2 score.
Bates (4-0) set the tone by prevailing in close matches at all three doubles matchups. Sophomore Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) and senior Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) edged MIT's Leslie Hansen and Anastasia Vishnevetsky 8-6. First-years Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) won by the same score at second doubles over Melissa Diskin/Bianca Dumitrascu, and sophomore Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) and first-year Katie Helfgott (Newton, Mass.) downed Jen Rees and Jenny Dohlman 8-5 for a 3-0 lead heading into singles play.
Winning their singles matches for the Bobcats were Anderson at second singles, Brunk at fourth singles, Blauth at fifth singles and senior Jean Gulliver (Falmouth, Maine) at No. 6 singles.
Bates next plays at Colby on Tuesday at 4 p.m. MIT (4-9) plays at Wellesley on April 3.
For more on this story and what's going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates 7, MIT 2
1. Meg Anderson/Alex Piacquad (Bates) def Leslie Hansen/Anastasia Vishnevetsky (MIT) 8-6
2. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (Bates) def Melissa Diskin/Bianca Dumitrascu (MIT) 8-6
3. Blauth/Helfgott (Bates) def Jen Rees/Jenny Dohlman (MIT) 8-5
1. Hansen (MIT) def Piacquad (Bates) 6-3, 6-3
2. Anderson (Bates) def Vishnevetsky (MIT) 6-3, 6-4
3. Dvmitrassa (MIT) def Helfgott (Bates) 6-0, 7-5
4. Brunk (Bates) def Diskin (MIT) 6-2, 6-0
5. Blauth (Bates) def Hillary Jenny (MIT) 6-2, 6-0
6. Gulliver (Bates) def Dohlman (MIT) 6-2, 6-1