Women's tennis blasts Continentals on Senior Day, 8-1
LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates College women's tennis team won its final home match of the season on Sunday, 8-1 over Hamilton College in a NESCAC match.
Bates (8-4, 2-2 NESCAC) grabbed hard-earned victories in all three doubles matches to start the match. First-years Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) fended off the Continentals' Alex Arenson and Vrinda Khanna at second doubles, 8-5, and at third doubles it was first-year Katie Helfgott (Newton, Mass.) and sophomore Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) teaming up to defeat Deborah Barany and Amelia Mattern of Hamilton, also 8-5.
Barany got Hamilton's (3-9, 0-6 NESCAC) lone point at No. 1 singles, where Bates senior Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) retired due to injury in the second set.
The match marked Senior Day for the team's two captains, Piacquad and Jean Gulliver (Falmouth, Maine), who won 8-1 over Melissa Mann at No. 6 singles.
Bates has a non-conference match on Monday at Colby-Sawyer College, starting at 3:30 p.m.; Hamilton plays host to St. Lawrence University on Tuesday at 4 p.m.
For more on this story and what's going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates 8, Hamilton 1
1. Alex Piacquad/Meg Anderson (B) def Lauran Brantley/Melissa Mann (H) 8-3
2. Nicole Russell/Ashley Brunk (B) def Alex Arenson/Vrinda Khanna (H) 8-5
3. Katie Helfgott/Erika Blauth (B) def Deborah Barany/Amelia Mattern (H) 8-5
1. Piacquad (B) def. by Barany (H) 6-7(5), 3-0 (ret.)
2. Anderson (B) def Brantley (H) 7-6(5), 4-6, 10-5
3. Helfgott (B) def Khanna (H) 6-0,6-1
4. Brunk (B) def Arenson (H) 6-2,6-1
5. Blauth (B) def Mattern (H) 8-6
6. Jean Gulliver (B) def Mann (H) 8-1