|Erika Blauth '12 won points for Bates at third doubles and fifth singles.|
PORTLAND, Maine -- The Bates College women's tennis team defeated Babson College by a rare 5-2 score on Tuesday, in a match played at The Racket and Fitness Center in Portland. Babson was the home team, as the match was originally scheduled for March 10 at Babson.
Two of the singles matches weren't yet finished when the court time reserved for the match expired. Since Bates already owned the decisive amount of points required for the victory, the final score stands at 5-2.
The Bobcats (6-1), ranked No. 21 in the Northeast in this week's Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings (Babson is rated No. 23), took a 2-1 lead into singles play after winning at first and third doubles. Senior Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) and sophomore Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) downed Jes Huang and Rebecca Stone at first doubles by an 8-2 score, while sophomore Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) and first-year Katie Helfgott (Newton, Mass.) won 8-5 at third doubles.
Bates scored wins at third, fifth and sixth singles -- Helfgott, Blauth and first-year Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.), respectively -- to secure the win before play was halted. At that time, Anderson was tied with Stone at No. 2 singles 7-6(5), 5-7, 1-1, while Brunk led Babson's Mikaela Stamas 6-3, 4-3 at fourth singles.
Bates next plays host to Tufts in a NESCAC match on Saturday, April 3 at 4 p.m.
For more on this story and what's going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates 5, Babson 2
1. Alex Piacquad/Meg Anderson (Bates) def Jes Huang/Rebecca Stone 8-2
2. Liz Sheerin/Lorena Becerra def Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (Bates) 8-6
3. Erika Blauth/Katie Helfgott (Bates) def Ashley Lake/Victoria Lorido 8-5
1. Huang def Piacquad (Bates) 6-0, 6-3
2. Not Completed (Anderson (Bates) was tied w/Stone 7-6(5), 5-7, 1-1)
3. Helfgott (Bates) def Becerra 6-1, 6-1
4. Not Completed (Brunk (Bates) led Mikaela Stamas 6-3, 4-3)
5. Blauth (Bates) def Baez 6-0, 6-1
6. Russell (Bates) def Lorido 6-3, 6-4