HARTFORD, Conn. -- Host Trinity College emerged as the winner by a 5-4 score over the Bates College women's tennis team in a hard-fought NESCAC match on Friday.
All three doubles matches were decided by close scores, including Bates' 9-7 victory at first doubles by senior Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) and sophomore Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.). Four out of six singles matches went to three sets, including wins by first-year Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) at fourth singles and by sophomore Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) at fifth singles. First-year Katie Helfgott (Newton, Mass.) won convincingly at third singles for Bates, 6-2, 6-0.
Trinity improved to 6-3 overall and 2-2 in the NESCAC with its fourth consecutive victory, while the Bobcats fall to 9-6 overall and 3-4 in the league.
Bates plays its final regular-season match on Sunday at Wesleyan.
For more on this story and what's going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Trinity 5, Bates 4
1. TC- Hillary Hoyt d. Alex Piacquad, 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
2. TC- Jillian Steckloff d. Meg Anderson, 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
3. B- Katie Helfgott d. Kelsey Semrod, 6-2, 6-0
4. B- Ashley Brunk d. Arielle Leben, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
5. B- Erika Blauth d. Olivia Merns, 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
6. TC- Frances Cameron d. Nicole Russell, 6-3, 6-2
1. B- Piacquad/Anderson d. Hoyt/Merns, 9-7
2. TC- Semrod/Cameron d. Brunk/Russell, 9-7
3. TC- Leben/Steckloff d. Helfgott/Blauth, 8-5