Anderson wins at singles and doubles for women's tennis at Trinity
|Meg Anderson '12 powered her way to wins at first doubles and at second singles for the Bobcats at Trinity. (File photo)|
HARTFORD, Conn. -- Bates sophomore Meg Anderson won in both of her matches to lead the Bates women's tennis team in a 7-2 NESCAC defeat at Trinity College on Thursday.
Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) teamed up with sophomore Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) for a tough 9-7 win at No. 1 doubles over the Bantams' top tandem of Hillary Hoyt and Jillian Steckloff. Anderson kept it going by grinding out a 7-5, 6-4 defeat of Arielle Leben at second singles. Sophomore Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) lost in a second-set tiebreaker at No. 5 singles, 6-2, 7-6 (11-9).
Trinity, ranked 13th in the Northeast by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, rose to 9-4 overall and 4-2 in NESCAc play.
Bates (4-12, 0-5 NESCAC) plays at conference foe Connecticut College on Saturday at 10 a.m.
Trinity 7, Bates 2
April 21, 2011 at Trinity
1. Meg Anderson/Jacqui Holmes (Bates) d. Hillary Hoyt/Jillian Steckloff (Trinity), 9-7
2. Frances Cameron/Kelsey Semrod (Trinity) d. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (Bates), 8-3
3. Regan Cherna/Elizabeth Gerber (Trinity) d. Erika Blauth/Kristin Doerer (Bates), 8-4
1. Hoyt (Trinity) d. Holmes (Bates), 6-4, 6-0
2. Anderson (Bates) d. Arielle Leben (Trinity), 7-5, 6-4
3. Cherna (Trinity) d. Brunk (Bates), 6-0, 6-3
4. Steckloff (Trinity) d. Blauth (Bates), 6-2, 6-1
5. Semrod (Trinity) d. Russell (Bates), 6-2, 7-6 (11-9)
6. Cameron (Trinity) d. Doerer (Bates), 6-2, 6-4