|Erika Blauth '12 (above) and Kristen Doerer '14 won at second doubles for Bates. (File photo)|
LEWISTON, Maine -- Colby overcame a 2-1 deficit after doubles play to edge the Bates women's tennis team 5-4 in a NESCAC match on Wednesday evening in Merrill Indoor Gymnasium.
Bates dropped to 4-8 overall and 0-2 in NESCAC play. The Bobcats play a non-conference match at MIT on Saturday at 3 p.m. Colby rose to 3-9, 1-2 in conference play, while snapping a three-match losing streak.
Bates won the top two doubles matches: sophomore Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) won 8-5 at first doubles, while junior Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) and first-year Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) coasted to an 8-3 win at second doubles. But at third doubles, the Mules' Katie Brezinski and Sally Holmes won an extended battle over Bates sophomore Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) and Jenna Burke (Burlington, Mass.) for a crucial point.
Jacqui Holmes shook off the doubles loss for a dominating 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 1 singles for the Bobcats. Meanwhile, Russell made it a 2-0 day for herself with a 6-1, 6-3 win at fourth singles.
Colby 5, Bates 4
April 6, 2011 at Bates (Merrill Indoor Gymnasium)
1. Nicole Russell/Ashley Brunk (B) def. Katie Muto/Tess Perese (C), 8-5
2. Erika Blauth/Kristen Doerer (B) def. Kathryn Vergeyle/Sara Wiener (C), 8-3
3. Katie Brezinski/Sally Holmes (C) def. Jacqui Holmes/Jenna Burke (B), 9-8(6)
1. Holmes (B) def. Muto (C) 6-0, 6-2
2. Perese (C) def. Brunk (B), 7-6(1), 6-2
3. Brezinski (C) def. Blauth (B), 6-3, 6-3
4. Russell (B) def. Wiener (C), 6-1, 6-3
5. Vergeyle (C) def. Doerer (B), 6-0, 6-3
6. Holmes (C) def. Burke (B), 6-4, 6-0