LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates women's tennis team led 2-1 after doubles play and went on to defeat Babson 6-3 on Friday in Merrill Indoor Gymnasium, evening the Bobcats’ record this year at 4-4. The visiting Beavers dipped to 9-7.
Bates earned its first two points in straightforward fashion, with junior Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) and sophomore Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) taking an 8-4 decision over Sarah Whitaker and Rebecca Stone at first doubles, and junior Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) and first-year Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) winning 8-6 at No. 2 doubles. But Babson's Victoria Lorido and Mikaela Stamas came back from a 6-2 deficit at No. 3 doubles to defeat sophomores Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) and Jenna Burke (Burlington, Mass.) 9-8 (5) at No. 3 doubles, keeping the match within reach for the visitors.
Holmes posted an impressive 6-1, 6-2 win over Whitaker at first singles for Bates. Also winning at singles for the Bobcats were Blauth, Doerer and Burke, who prevailed in a marathon decision at No. 6 singles, 7-6(3), 4-6 (10-6), over Lorido.
Bates next plays at Brandeis in another non-conference match on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Bates 6, Babson 3
March 25, 2011 at Bates (Merrill Indoor Gymnasium)
1. Meg Anderson/Ashley Brunk (Bates) def. Sarah Whitaker/Rebecca Stone (Babson) 8-4
2. Erika Blauth/Kristen Doerer (Bates) def. Ashley Lake/Monica Mercer (Babson) 8-6
3. Victoria Lorido/Mikaela Stamas (Babson) def. Jacqui Holmes/Jenna Burke (Bates) 9-8 (5)
1. Holmes (Bates) def. Whitaker (Babson) 6-1, 6-2
2. Stone (Babson) def. Anderson (Bates) 6-4, 6-3
3. Mercer (Babson) def. Brunk (Bates) 6-3, 7-5
4. Blauth (Bates) def. Mikaela Stamas (Babson) 6-3, 6-2
5. Doerer (Bates) def. Lake (Babson) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
6. Burke (Bates) def. Lorido (Babson) 7-6 (3), 4-6 (10-6)