DELRAY BEACH, Fla. -- The Bates College women's tennis team swept all three doubles matches en route to its first dual-match victory of the year on Friday, 5-4 over Broward College.
Bates first-year Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) and junior Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) prevailed at No. 2 doubles in a tiebreaker, 9-8(5), to key the Bobcats' doubles sweep. Junior Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) and sophomore Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) fought out an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles over Justyna Wokcik and Moya Williams, while sophomore Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) and sophomore Jenna Burke (Burlington, Mass.) teamed up for a relatively easier 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles.
The host Seahawks (3-2) swept the top four singles matches, but Russell and Doerer ensured Bates' victory with straight-sets wins at fifth and sixth singles, respectively.
Bates next plays host to Mount Holyoke on March 5 at 12 p.m.
Bates 5, Broward 4
Feb. 25, 2011 at Delray Beach, Fla.
1. Meg Anderson/Nicole Russell (Bates) def. Justyna Wokcik/Moya Williams (Broward) 8-6
2. Kristen Doerer/Erika Blauth (Bates) def. Ali Underhill/Monica Briceno (Broward) 9-8(5)
3. Jacqui Holmes/Jenna Burke (Bates) def. Mechelle Barton/Yasmin Landiero (Broward) 8-3
1. Jacqui Holmes (Bates) def. by Justyna Wojcik (Broward) 6-0, 6-0
2. Meg Anderson (Bates) def. by Monica Briceno (Broward) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
3. Ashley Brunk (Bates) def. by Ali Underhill (Broward) 6-2, 6-4
4. Erika Blauth (Bates) def. by Moya Williams (Broward) 6-0, 6-1
5. Nicole Russell (Bates) def. Yasmin Landiero (Broward) 6-2, 7-5
6. Kristen Doerer (Bates) def. Hewett (Broward) 6-1, 6-1