Women's tennis falls at MIT
|Nicole Russell '13 lost in three sets at No. 5 singles in Bates' loss at MIT. (File photo)|
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- MIT coasted past the Bates women's tennis team for a 9-0 non-conference win on Saturday.
The Engineers (11-4), ranked 13th in the Northeast by the ITA, won the top two doubles matches handily, but the Bobcats put up a good fight at No. 3 doubles, with junior Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) and first-year Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) falling 9-7.
In singles, Bates sophomore Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) won a set at No. 5 singles before losing in a tiebreaker.
Bates (4-9) plays host to Middlebury in a NESCAC match on Sunday, April 17 at 10 a.m.
MIT 9, Bates 0
April 9, 2011 at MIT
1. Karen Quisenberry/Candace Wu (M) def. Jacqui Holmes/Meg Anderson (B), 8-1
2. Julia Hsu/Bianca Dumitrascu (M) def. Nicole Russell/Ashley Brunk (B), 8-1
3. Melissa Diskin/Katie O'Neal (M) def. Kristen Doerer/Erika Blauth (B), 9-7
1. Quisenberry def. Holmes, 6-3, 6-2
2. Wu def. Anderson, 6-3, 6-1
3. Hsu def. Brunk, 6-2, 6-2
4. Dumitrascu def. Blauth, 6-2, 6-2
5. O'Neal def. Russell 6-1, 2-6 (10-8)
6. Diskin def. Jenna Burke (B), 7-5, 6-2