Women's tennis falls to 10th-ranked Middlebury at Wallach
LEWISTON, Maine -- No. 10 nationally ranked Middlebury defeated the Bates women's tennis team 9-0 in a NESCAC match on Sunday at the Wallach Tennis Center, the Bobcats' first outdoor home match of the year.
Bates junior Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) teamed up with first-year Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) at third doubles to post the day's closest match, falling 8-6 to the Panthers' Sally Wilkey and Blake Harries. Blauth also took Middlebury's Dorrie Paradies to a second set tiebreaker in her loss at No. 4 singles.
Bates sophomore Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) also played a competitive singles match at the fifth spot, falling 7-6(3), 6-2 to Whitney Hanson.
The visiting Panthers (8-1, 4-0 NESCAC) stayed unbeaten in conference play with their fifth straight victory.
The Bobcats (4-10, 0-3 NESCAC) host Bowdoin on Wednesday at 4 p.m. in another conference match.
Middlebury 9, Bates 0
April 17, 2011 at Lewiston, Maine (Wallach Tennis Center)
1. Leah Kepping/Brittney Faber (M) def. Meg Anderson/Jacqui Holmes (B), 8-4
2. Victoria Aiello/Anna Burke (M) def. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (B), 8-2
3. Sally Wilkey/Blake Harries (M) def. Erika Blauth/Kristen Doerer (B), 8-6
1. Aiello (M) def. Holmes (B), 6-2, 6-2
2. Kepping (M) def. Anderson (B), 6-2, 6-3
3. Burke (M) def. Brunk (B), 6-2, 6-3
4. Dorrie Paradies (M) def. Blauth (B), 6-3, 7-6(3)
5. Whitney Hanson (M) def. Russell (B), 7-6(3), 6-2
6. Alyssa Puccinelli (M) def. Doerer (B), 6-1, 6-4