FREDERICKSBURG, Va. -- The Bates women's tennis team fell by a 9-0 score on Friday at No. 18 nationally ranked University of Mary Washington, despite several close individual singles matches.
The Eagles raised their record this year to 5-4, while the visiting Bobcats dropped to 3-3.
Mary Washington required three sets to win its points at third and fourth singles, while at No. 6 singles, Bates first-year Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) came back from dropping the first set 6-0 to take Casey Malcolm to a tiebreaker in the second set. At No. 3 singles Bates sophomore Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) also dropped her first set 6-0, but she evened her match against Lauren Gaspar with a 6-2 second-set win before losing 10-8 in the super tiebreaker. At No. 4 singles, junior Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) had a similar match, falling to Michelle Meadows by a 6-1, 3-6, 10-5 score.
Bates plays at Johns Hopkins University on Saturday at 9 a.m.
Mary Washington 9, Bates 0
March 18, 2011 at Fredericksburg, Va. (UMW Outdoor)
1. Courtney Goimarac/Megan Lawlor (UMW) def. Nicole Russell/Meg Anderson (B) 8-3
2. Jocelyn Lewis/Michelle Meadows (UMW) def. Erika Blauth/Kristen Doerer (B) 8-1
3. Lindsay Raulston/Casey Malcolm (UMW) def. Jacqui Holmes/Jenna Burke (B) 8-4
1. Goimarac def. Holmes 6-1, 6-2
2. Lawlor def. Anderson 6-1, 6-1
3. Gaspar def. Ashley Brunk (B) 6-0, 2-6, 10-8
4. Meadows def. Blauth 6-1, 3-6, 10-5
5. Raulston (UMW) def. Russell 6-2, 6-0
6. Malcolm def. Doerer 6-0, 7-6(7-4)