Women's tennis wins two out of three in doubles vs. No. 12 Bowdoin
|Ashley Brunk '13 (above) and Nicole Russell '13 teamed up for an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles against 12th-ranked Bowdoin. (File photo)|
LEWISTON, Maine -- Bowdoin made up for a 2-1 deficit after doubles play by sweeping the singles matches for a 7-2 NESCAC win over the Bates women's tennis team on Wednesday in Merrill Indoor Gymnasium.
Bowdoin, ranked No. 12 in Division III by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, raised its record to 9-4 overall and 4-3 in conference play, while Bates dropped to 4-11 overall, 0-4 in the NESCAC.
Bates junior Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) and first-year Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) combined to pull out an inspiring 9-8 (8-6) win over Bowdoin's Kate Winingham and Susanna Howard in a marathon at No. 3 doubles, allowing the Bobcats to assume a 2-1 lead. Sophomores Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) prevailed by an 8-5 score at second doubles.
Bates plays at Trinity tomorrow at 3 p.m.
Bowdoin 7, Bates 2
April 20, 2011 at Bates (Merrill Indoor Gymnasium)
1. Emma Lewis/Chantalle Lavertu (Bowdoin) def. Meg Anderson/Jacqui Holmes (Bates), 8-2
2. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (Bates) def. Emily Lombardi/Hannah Hoerner (Bowdoin), 8-5
3. Erika Blauth/Kristen Doerer (Bates) def. Kate Winingham/Susanna Howard (Bowdoin), 9-8 (8-6)
1. Lombardi (Bowdoin) def. Holmes (Bates), 6-2, 6-1
2. Lewis (Bowdoin) def. Anderson (Bates), 6-4, 6-3
3. Lavertu (Bowdoin) def. Brunk (Bates), 6-1, 6-0
4. Winingham (Bowdoin) def. Blauth (Bates), 6-0, 6-4
5. Hoerner (Bowdoin) def. Russell (Bates), 8-6
6. Howard (Bowdoin) def. Doerer (Bates), 8-3