LEWISTON, Maine -- The No. 30 nationally ranked Bates women's tennis team picked up its second decisive NESCAC victory in a row on Saturday, shutting out Connecticut College 9-0 without losing a set.
Connecticut College dropped to 4-13 overall and 0-5 in NESCAC play.
Bates' top doubles pair, first-year Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) and senior Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.), set the tone with a rare 8-0 victory at No. 1 doubles. Juniors Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) won 8-4 at second doubles, while junior Jacqui Holmes and sophomore Lucy Brennan (Wellesley, Mass.) teamed up for an 8-4 win at third doubles.
Russell posted an impressive 6-0, 6-1 victory at sixth singles for the Bobcats. Also winning decisively in singles were Mandzhukova at No. 1, Holmes at No. 3, senior Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) at No. 4 and Brennan at No. 5. Jen Herbert put up the best fight of the day from the Camels, falling 6-4, 7-5 at second singles to Anderson.
Bates (10-7, 3-2 NESCAC) has two remaining matches in the regular season, both against conference foes: Thursday, April 26 at Bowdoin (4pm), and Saturday, April 28 at home against Williams (4pm). The Camels play at Colby tomorrow at 10am.
Bates 9, Connecticut College 0
April 21, 2012 at Bates (Wallach Tennis Center)
1. Elena Mandzhukova/Meg Anderson (B) def. Jen Herbert/Maria Pia Sifuentes (C) 8-0
2. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (B) def. Brittany Badik/Brittney Cangemi (C) 8-4
3. Jacqui Holmes/Lucy Brennan (B) def. Sara Krivoshik/Maddie Swanson (C) 8-4
1. Mandzhukova (B) def. Krivoshik 6-2, 6-3
2. Anderson (B) def. Herbert (C) 6-4, 7-5
3. Holmes (B) def. Sifuentes (C) 6-0, 6-3
4. Erika Blauth (B) def. Rohrbach (C) 6-2, 6-2
5. Brennan (B) def. Jacobs (C) 6-1, 6-1
6. Russell (B) def. Swanson (C) 6-0, 6-1