LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates women's tennis team defeated No. 23 nationally ranked MIT 6-3 on Saturday in Merrill Gymnasium, winning two out of three doubles matches and four out of six singles matches for their fifth win in the past six outings.
Bates first-year Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) won at both No. 1 doubles and No. 1 singles for the Bobcats (6-3), outlasting MIT's Lauren Quisenberry in the top singles showdown after losing the first set 6-0. She teamed up with senior captain Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) for an 8-4 win at first doubles.
Junior captain Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) and sophomore Lucy Brennan (Wellesley, Mass.) were also 2-0 on the day -- they teamed up to win 8-4 at third doubles before Holmes outlasted Michelle Dutt in three sets at No. 3 singles, while Brennan coasted to a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Hillary Jenny at sixth singles.
Senior captain Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) won a hard-fought match at fourth singles, beating Julia Hsu 6-3, 7-5.
Anastasia Vishnevetsky went 2-0 on the day for the visiting Engineers (8-4).
Bates plays host to Brandeis on March 31 (Video).
Bates 6, MIT 3
March 17, 2012 at Bates
1. Elena Mandzhukova/Meg Anderson (Bates) def. Lauren Quisenberry/Julia Hsu (MIT) 8-4
2. Anastasia Vishnevetsky/Michelle Dutt (MIT) def. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (Bates) 8-4
3. Jacqui Holmes/Lucy Brennan (Bates) def. Vynnie Kong/Madeline Aby (MIT) 8-4
1. Mandzhukova (Bates) def. Quisenberry (MIT) 0-6, 7-6(5), 6-1
2. Vishnevetsky (MIT) def. Anderson (Bates) 6-3, 6-7(4), 6-3
3. Holmes (Bates) def. Dutt (MIT) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Erika Blauth (Bates) def. Hsu (MIT) 6-3, 7-5
5. Kong (MIT) def. Audrey Grauer (Bates) 6-0, 6-1
6. Brennan (Bates) def. Hillary Jenny (MIT) 6-1, 6-3