LEWISTON, Maine -- Wesleyan scored a 6-3 upset win over the No. 28 nationally ranked Bates women's tennis team on Sunday at the Wallach Tennis Center, in the regular-season finale for both teams.
Wesleyan won its second straight to finish with a 6-9 record, including a 4-5 mark in NESCAC play. Bates dropped to 7-11, 3-6 in the NESCAC. The win may have decided the sixth and final berth in the NESCAC Women's Tennis Championship, taking place May 3-5 at Amherst.
Bates won two out of three doubles matches, but Wesleyan came back to win five out of six singles matches. The only holdout for the Bobcats was senior captain Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.), who defeated Grace Smith 6-2, 7-6 (4) at No. 2 singles.
Senior Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) and sophomore Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) defeated Clare DuBrin and Genevieve Aniello at No. 1 doubles, while Holmes and senior Jenna Burke (Burlington, Mass.) won 8-2 at third singles over Nicki Softness and Kiley Robbins.
Wesleyan 6, Bates 3
April 28, 2013 at Wallach Tennis Center
1. Elena Mandzhukova/Ashley Brunk (B) def. Clare DuBrin/Genevieve Aniello (W) 8-3
2. Lauren Jacobs/Grace Smith (W) def. Nicole Russell/Kristen Doerer (B) 8-4
3. Jacqui Holmes/Jenna Burke (B) def. Nicki Softness/Kiley Robbins (W) 8-2
1. DuBrin (W) def. Mandzhukova (B) 6-3, 6-3
2. Holmes (B) def. Smith (W) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
3. Aniello (W) def. Brunk (B) 6-2, 6-3
4. Howard (W) def. Lucy Brennan (B) 6-1, 6-3
5. Jessica Seidman (W) def. Russell (B) 6-0, 7-6
6. Jacobs (W) def. Audrey Grauer (B) 6-2, 6-3