AMHERST, Mass. -- Senior captain Jacqui Holmes saved the No. 28 nationally ranked Bates women's tennis team from being shut out by No. 1-ranked Amherst, but the host Lord Jeffs took an 8-1 NESCAC win over the Bobcats on Wednesday.
It was the second time Bates (5-8, 1-3 NESCAC) has faced Amherst (13-1, 6-0 NESCAC) in 12 days, having lost 9-0 to the Jeffs on April 5 at Brandeis, during the Nor'easter Bowl tournament.
Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) outfought Amherst's Safi Aly at second singles after falling in a competitive first set, prevailing by a 4-6, 6-4, 11-9 score. Sophomore Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) also took her match at No. 1 singles to a tiebreaker before falling to Caroline Richman.
Holmes' point represents the first that Amherst has surrendered in its past six matches; Amherst has won 11 straight.
Bates next plays at Connecticut College on Saturday at 10am.
Amherst 8, Bates 1
April 17, 2013 at Amherst
1. Gabby Devlin/Zoe Pangalos (A) def. Elena Mandzhukova/Ashley Brunk (B) 8-5
2. Caroline Richman/Safi Aly (A) def. Nicole Russell/Kristen Doerer (B) 8-2
3. Sarah Monteagudo/Isabel Camacho (A) def. Jacquelyn Holmes/Jenna Burke (B) 8-3
1. Richman (A) def. Mandzhukova (B) 6-1, 4-6, 10-6
2. Holmes (B) def. Aly (A) 4-6, 6-4, 11-9
3. Monteagudo (A) def. Brunk (B) 6-1, 6-1
4. Camacho (A) def. Russell (B) 6-4, 6-3
5. Lauren Slutsky (A) def. Audrey Grauer (B) 6-3, 6-0
6. Lara Min (A) def. Doerer (B) 6-2, 6-4