WALTHAM, Mass. -- Bates senior Nicole Russell went 2-0 with wins at No. 3 doubles and No. 5 singles, but the No. 29 nationally ranked Bobcats fell 6-3 to Brandeis on Saturday in the second round of the Nor'easter Bowl, hosted by Wellesley and Brandeis.
The fifth-seeded Judges won two out of three doubles matches and four out of six in singles play, in defeating Bates for the second time in three weeks, having won 5-4 in another home match on March 16.
Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) and junior Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) again proved to be a tough doubles draw, winning 8-4 over Dylan Schlesinger and Maya Vasser. Russell went on to defeat Alexa Katz in a third-set super-tiebreaker at No. 5 singles, while sophomore Audrey Grauer (Encinitas, Calif.) did the same at No. 6.
Bates (3-6) will take on the tournament host and sixth-seeded Blue at Wellesley College on Sunday at 10am, for seventh place. Wellesley is ranked 27th in Division III.
Brandeis 6, Bates 3
April 6, 2013 at Brandeis
1. Carley Cooke/Faith Broderick (BRS) def. Elena Mandzhukova/Ashley Brunk (BATES), 8-5
2. Simone Vandroff/Roberta Bergstein (BRS) def. Jacquelyn Holmes/Lucy Brennan (BATES), 8-2
3. Nicole Russell/Kristen Doerer (BATES) def. Dylan Schlesinger/Maya Vasser (BRS), 8-4
1. Carley Cooke (BRS) def. Elena Mandzhukova, (BATES), 6-1, 6-0
2. Faith Broderick (BRS) def. Jacquelyn Holmes (BATES), 6-0, 6-2
3. Allyson Bernstein (BRS) def. Ashley Brunk (BATES), 6-0, 6-1
4. Roberta Bergstein (BRS) def. Lucy Brennan (BATES), 6-4, 6-2
5. Nicole Russell (BATES) def. Alexa Katz (BRS), 2-6, 6-4, (10-6)
6. Audrey Grauer (BATES) def. Maya Vasser (BRS), 7-5, 2-6, (10-3)