WALTHAM, Mass. -- As the eighth seed in the 2013 Nor'easter Bowl, co-hosted by Wellesley College and Brandeis University, the No. 29 nationally ranked Bates women's tennis team drew NESCAC rival Amherst in the first round and accepted a 9-0 loss to the top-ranked Lord Jeffs.
Bates (3-5) will play the fifth seed, No. 26 Brandeis, on Saturday at noon on the Judges' home courts.
Amherst controlled seven out of nine matches of the Day 1 match, the exceptions being at No. 3 doubles and No. 3 singles. Bates' third doubles team of senior Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) and junior Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) pushed Sarah Monteagudo and Isabel Camacho to an 8-6 decision. At third singles, senior Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) challenged Caroline Richman to a 7-5 decision in the second set, after dropping the first one 6-2.
Amherst 9, Bates 0
1. Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (AMH) def. Elena Mandzhukova/Ashley Brunk (BATES),
2. Caroline Richman/Safi Aly (AMH) def. Jacquelyn Holmes/Lucy Brennan (BATES), 8-1
3. Sarah Monteagudo/Isabel Camacho (AMH) def. Nicole Russell/Kristen Doerer (BATES), 8-6
1. Jordan Brewer (AMH) def. Elena Mandzhukova, (BATES) 6-0, 6-0
2. Jen Newman (AMH) def. Jacquelyn Holmes (BATES), 6-0, 6-1
3. Caroline Richman (AMH) def. Ashley Brunk (BATES), 6-2, 7-5
4. Sue Ghosh (AMH) def. Lucy Brennan (BATES), 6-1, 6-1
5. Zoe Pangalos (AMH) def. Nicole Russell (BATES), 6-1, 6-1
6. Gabby Devlin (AMH) def. Audrey Grauer (BATES), 6-0, 6-0