WELLESLEY, Mass. -- The No. 28 nationally ranked Bates women's tennis team ended a four-match slide with a 5-4 victory at No. 26 Wellesley on Sunday, in the seventh-place match of the eight-team Nor'easter Bowl, hosted by Wellesley and Brandeis.
In what may have been the closest match of the season so far for Bates, the host and sixth-seeded Blue (8-7) and the eighth-seeded Bobcats (4-6) split the first two doubles matches, but at No. 3 senior Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) and junior Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) won a key point in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (4) over Kendall Tada and Catherine Matulis. Senior Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) and junior Lucy Brennan (Wellesley, Mass.) teamed up for an 8-4 victory at No. 2 doubles over Suzanne Barth and Veronica Lin.
Sophomore Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) scored a three-set victory at No. 1 singles over Sojung Lee, one of five three-set singles matches. Senior Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) also won in three at No. 3 singles, and Russell came back from a set down to win in three at No. 5.
Bates hosts Trinity in a NESCAC match on Saturday, April 13 at 2pm (Video).
Bates 5, Wellesley 4
1. Diana Granger/Sojung Lee (WEL) def. Elena Mandzhukova/Ashley Brunk (BATES), 8-5
2. Jacquelyn Holmes/Lucy Brennan (BATES) def. Suzanne Barth/Veronica Lin (WEL), 8-4
3. Nicole Russell/Kristen Doerer (BATES) def. Kendall Tada/Catherine Matulis (WEL), 9-8 (4)
1. Elena Mandzhukova (BATES) def. Sojung Lee (WEL), 6-0, 5-7, 6-1
2. Diana Granger (WEL) def. Jacquelyn Holmes (BATES), 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
3. Ashley Brunk (BATES) def. Catherine Matulis (WEL), 6-2, 3-6, 7-6(4)
4. Suzanne Barth (WEL) def. Lucy Brennan (BATES), 7-6(5), 6-4
5. Nicole Russell (BATES) def. Kendall Tada (WEL), 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
6. Veronica Lin (WEL) def. Audrey Grauer (BATES), 3-6, 6-4, 6-1