LEWISTON, Maine -- Bowdoin swept the Bates women's tennis team 9-0 on Thursday at Wallach Tennis Center, the Polar Bears' fourth straight victory, dropping only one set out of six singles matches after sweeping doubles play.
Bates, ranked 28th in Division III and 11th in the Northeast, fell to 7-9 overall and 3-4 in NESCAC play, while Bowdoin, ranked No. 8 in the country and No. 4 in the Northeast, rose to 12-3 overall and 5-2 in the conference.
Bates senior captain Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) continued her strong play in the day's most hotly contested match at No. 2 singles. Bowdoin's Chantalle Lavertu won the first set in a pro-set tiebreaker, but Holmes evened the match with a 7-5 win in the second set. Lavertu prevailed in the super-tiebreaker, 10-8.
Bates finishes the regular season with home matches against Tufts on Saturday at 4pm and Wesleyan on Sunday at 2pm. Bowdoin hosts Tufts on Saturday at 10am.
Bowdoin 9, Bates 0
April 25, 2013 at Wallach Tennis Center
1. Emma Chow/Tiffany Cheng (Bowdoin) def. Elena Mandzhukova/Ashley Brunk (Bates) 8-2
2. Kellen Alberstone/Chantalle Lavertu (Bowdoin) def. Nicole Russell/Kristen Doerer (Bates) 8-6
3. Kate Winingham/Emma Lewis (Bowdoin) def. Jacqui Holmes/Jenna Burke (Bates) 8-2
1. Albertson (Bowdoin) def. Mandzhukova (Bates) 6-1, 6-3
2. Lavertu (Bowdoin) def. Holmes (Bates) 7-6 (5), 5-7, 10-8
3. Cheng (Bowdoin) def. Brunk (Bates) 6-1, 6-0
4. Winingham (Bowdoin) def. Lucy Brennan (Bates) 6-1, 6-0
5. Chow (Bowdoin) def. Russell (Bates) 6-2, 6-1
6. Susanna Howard (Bowdoin) def. Audrey Grauer (Bates) 6-2, 6-1